How to Prioritize Self-Care This Final Season

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

With this upcoming final season, it is important to prioritize self-care to be at your best when taking the exams. Self-care is all about taking the time to do things that help you manage stress and feel better. Whether you have one or more finals, here are some ways that you can incorporate a bit of self-care into your day.

Eat Healthy

Creating healthy eating habits is essential to self-care, especially since the food and nutrients you put into your body impact your overall well-being. Start by choosing healthy options that fuel your body and make you feel energized to take on anything. It is as simple as drinking water instead of soda or incorporating some vegetables into your next meal. 

Get Enough Sleep

In addition to eating healthy, you can make sure you are getting enough sleep each night. Sleep impacts the trajectory of your energy and mood, however many college students tend to neglect it. By making it a priority, you can make sure to get the recommended 8-10 hours a night. It is especially important to get enough sleep before exams because sleep helps our brains rest and remember information. 

Do Things That Make You Happy

Another way you can incorporate self-care is by doing something that makes you happy. This can be anything from taking a walk in nature or doing some skin care. Anything that can help get your mind off of upcoming stressors is a great way to put your attention on something else. Sometimes it may feel like there is no time to do anything fun when you are studying, but taking these breaks will let you check in on how you are feeling and get some dopamine from whatever it is you want to do. Self-care can be as simple as calling a friend, working out, laying outside, drawing, or doing anything else that makes you smile. 

The next time you have a test coming up, remember to prioritize your well-being and rest. Good luck!

Chiana Kelly

Cal Poly '27

Chiana is a first-year Business Major at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She is currently involved in Her Campus as an editorial writer and a member of Delta Gamma and other Cal Poly clubs such as Distance Club and Young Life. Chiana loves ceramics, running, the beach, and surfing. She is always down for a good time with friends and family!