Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Get Over a Break Up During the COVID-19 Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Since the start of Quarantine in March, 2020, many people have wondered how they will build connections, meet new friends, and date all over a screen. But, the question no one seems to be asking is “How do I get over a breakup during the COVID-19 Pandemic?”

This question is so important because there has been an increase in depression and anxiety due to the alienating nature of the quarininte, and going through a breakup during this time can make the world seem so much darker. When going through a breakup during the pandemic, you may feel lost, isolated, and sad, which are all completely normal feelings to have. Now, add to that the lack of connection to friends and family and the isolating conditions of online school and you’re looking at a whole new form of heartbreak. 

So how can you survive a heartbreak and a pandemic? The key is to not let yourself fall deeper into a pit of despair. 

Spend time with your friends

Even if you don’t want to talk, your friend’s presence can help lift your mood. Talking to friends over video chat can be so helpful when you’re feeling down. Make sure that you keep in touch with people and let those you trust know what is going on and how you are feeling. Friends and family are the best support systems and they will do all they can to help you through a breakup.

EAT!

Without a schedule like before quarantine, it is easy to forget a meal or two. So, make sure you are filling your body with healthy food and nutrients (along with the occasional pint of ice cream) to ensure you don’t feel sick or helpless. Now overeating and undereating can be quite common so make sure you have the support of loved ones to help you get proper nutrients.

Exercise

Getting out of your room and breathing some fresh air can be so helpful while you try to organize your thoughts and process your feelings. Even just a walk around the block can be helpful. Consider activities such as a nice long run, yoga, a quick workout, dancing, or playing sports with your pets, friends, or family.

Take some time for yourself

Make sure that you’re giving yourself enough time to heal without the influence of others. Taking a shower, doing a face mask, painting, meditation, or going for a drive can all be useful activities to help ground yourself during a difficult time.

Don’t obsess over answers

Sometimes you’re left cold turkey and your mind is still searching reasons as to why this has happened to you. This will only lead you down a path of endless thoughts that make you doubt yourself. Remember that although you may not have the answers, you can be the solution by gathering yourself when the time is right and moving on with your life.

Remember that YOU are IMPORTANT

When someone breaks your heart, it is easy to forget your worth while you ponder what went wrong in the relationship. Remember that you are loved by your friends and family and that you impact many of the lives around you. YOU ARE VALUED!

So remember, that no matter how tough things get, time heals all. You are still loved by many others in your life that are more than willing to help you through this difficult time. Stay positive and remember that everyone recovers differently so never feel ashamed of your journey.

Hello! I am Nicole Poirier and I am attending Cal Poly SLO as a first year. I have extensive background in the media industry. I have completed an internship with my local 92131 Magazine as a writer as well as an internship with the NBC 7 Media Academy. I was a part of my high school newspaper for three years and was the Editor in Chief. I love traveling, volunteering with shelter animals and spending time with my dog Lola at home. I have earned scholarships from the Scripps Ranch Women's Club as well as from the Scripps Ranch High School counseling department. I hope to share some of my story with you though each article I produce. Enjoy!