This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Think about the phrase, “I have butterflies in my stomach,” and what that feels like. Why is it that something we are thinking or experiencing emotionally has an effect on our physical body, and more specifically, our stomach? It’s because our gut is telling our brain what to do, and inversely, our brain tells our gut what to do. I know, it sounds far-fetched, but it’s true and I’ll tell you why. 

This connection is caused by the gut-brain axis, which is a network that is just as busy as the freeway during rush hour. We’ll cover who’s on this freeway and how to mediate the traffic a little bit in order to benefit your health. Just like traffic can cause stress and anxiety, so can poor gut health. 

To start, I’ll introduce the Vagus nerve. This is the largest nerve connecting your brain to your body, and traffic moves both ways on this nerve. In a study done on animals, as noted by Healthline,  “Stress inhibits the signals sent through the vagus nerve and also causes gastrointestinal problems.” 

Next, your gut and brain are connected via neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are basically little messengers that carry signals throughout your body. Fun fact: neurotransmitters produced in the brain AND in the gut control your emotions. For  example, your gut produces much of your body’s serotonin, which contributes to feelings of happiness, and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) which regulates fear and anxiety. In this way, a healthy gut means a healthy mind. 

Lastly, we’ll discuss your gut microbiome . Your gut microbiome is crucial in your immune system, digestion, inflammation and overall health. The microbiome is made up of billions of diverse microorganisms that live in our intestines and dictate our health, according to Biocodex, The Microbiota Institute. If this system fails, it can lead to serious problems for our immune system, digestion and neurological problems. 

Now that you know just how important your gut health is, here are a few research-backed tips from Medical News Today to keep that mini ecosystem thriving. 

First, we’ll touch on a few things to add into your diet. By taking probiotic supplements and eating fermented food such as pickles, kimchi, kombucha, sauerkraut and more, you can boost that beneficial bacteria. In addition, prebiotic fiber foods such as bananas, asparagus, onions and garlic can help with this mission as well. 

Unfortunately, sugar and artificial sweeteners may cause gut dysbiosis, which is an imbalance of gut microbes, so stay away from those as much as possible.  As far as lifestyle changes, simply reducing stress, exercising regularly and getting enough sleep are three simple goals you can set to better your overall health both mentally and physically. 

Current Vice President and Campus Correspondent for the Cal Poly chapter of Her Campus. Hannah is a third year Journalism student with a concentration in Public Relations at Cal Poly. Hannah is working toward a career writing for an online publication focusing on health and wellness. In her free time Hannah listens to podcasts, walks on the beach, reads self-help books, shops clean skincare and tries new plant-based recipes. On this page you'll find the articles she has written about lifestyle, health, wellness, fashion, current events and more.