Dead & Weak from Dead Week: 5 Ways to Combat the Dead Week Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Dead week is arguably one of the most dreaded weeks on Cal Poly’s campus. Students and staff alike spend all their time preparing for the last week of the quarter. And while dead week sucks a liiiiiiiiiiitle less than finals week, it still has its sucky qualities as well. However, it doesn’t have to suck as bad as you expect it to! Here are 5 ways to deal with and cope with your dead week blues:

1. Actually study

This is one of the biggest problems people face during dead week. You know you’re supposed to study and you know your grade is riding on this final, yet you still keep clicking “Next Episode” on Netflix! Girl, WTF. You need to actually study. Studying will help calm your nerves before finals, especially for the ones you’re freaking out about, and will also drastically improve your readiness. . Besides, it’s a great feeling walking into a final, reading the first question on the exam and actually knowing the answer. Studying does wonders to help calm your nerves and keep you on top of your finals game. SO F**KING STUDY.

2. Make a calendar of deadlines, finals, when to study, etc.

This is arguably one of the most important tips on this list. If you have a million and a half things to doon your schedule right now, you know that won’t change during dead week or finals week. It’s best to start right now and plan out your weeks so that way you’re on top of your study game. Having a calendar with all of your planned study time and when your finals are will help drastically decrease your stress levels and keep you from freaking out during the final two weeks of spring quarter.

3. Listen to yourself

If it’s 3 a.m. and you can barely keep your eyes open because you’re so tired, just go to bed and keep studying in the morning. You cannot properly function if you are dead tired, and if you find yourself in this position, you’re likely not even retaining the information you’re studying anyway. Get some shut-eye, and get back on the grind in the morning.

4. Don’t get too bogged down in your work.

We all know dead week is busy, stressful and time-consuming. Planning out when you’re going to study (#2’s advice), when your finals are and when to just take some time for yourself is a huge help. You also need to make sure that you’re not overloading yourself with things to do during the week. You will definitely regret taking on a 6th shift at work during dead week when you walk into your 7 a.m. Monday Chemistry final and can’t remember a single thing you studied the week before.

5. Take some “Me Time” if you’re feeling too stressed

Dead week is going to be hard. It’s inevitable, but if you find yourself getting depressed or incredibly stressed outit’s a sign from your body that you need to take some time off. Whether time off means going to the pool, getting food with friends (who aren’t studying), reading for yourself or even taking a nap, you need to listen to your body when it tells you something is off. You’ll appreciate the time off, even if it feels detrimental at the start.

Dead week doesn’t have to be the worst time of your life. If you stay on top of your studying and manage your time well, you will be absolutely ready for finals week. Kick ass on your finals, ladies!

Jordyn White

Cal Poly '19

3rd year Sociology student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. I'm a writer and editor for Her Campus Cal Poly, and I am so excited to be finishing my final year at Cal Poly with Her Campus! I love a good political conversation, so feel free to hit me up if you want to talk politics!