Wellness > Health

5 of the Best Places to Run in San Luis Obispo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Are you tired of the perpetual boredom you get from doing the same gym routine everyday? Have you ever wanted to switch up the monotony of running on a treadmill, absent of beautiful and ever-changing views? Now that you live in, arguably, one of the most beautiful cities in America, you have the opportunity to enjoy SLO’s natural beauty and get fit while doing it! Here are the 5 best places to run in SLO. These easily accessible and breathtaking locations will give your body the exercise it needs and will give your mind the escape it wants from the stresses of everyday life.

Architecture Graveyard

Not only is Architecture Graveyard a beautiful place to explore, it’s also on campus, which makes it an easily accessible trail to students of all ages. As you’re running through the historically famous Cal Poly spot, you can appreciate the different architecture works that various students have created in the past. With constant change of scenery, running through Architecture Graveyard is anything but boring.

To get to this beautiful trail, walk along Village Drive and turn into the dirt path right before the Poly Canyon Village sign. About 1 mile down the trail, turn left at the fork and you will be in Architecture Graveyard, and get ready to enjoy the beauty and variety it contains.

Serenity Swing

Another on-campus trail, Serenity Swing is the perfect place to enjoy SLO’s views, and get a rigorous workout in at the same time. With it’s various hills and bumpy surfaces, your legs will surely feel the wonderful burn of getting in shape. The Swing itself makes the tiring journey worthwhile, mainly due to its amazing view of SLO’s beautiful backcountry. This journey to the Swing acts as both a fantastic workout for your body and a great escape for your mind. Swing away your stresses and enjoy this beautiful place for what it is, because you won’t get to live here forever!

Similar to the Architecture Graveyard trail, you run down the path that leads from Village Drive. However, this time you turn right, run past the horses and through the gates that lead to the rest of the trail. Pro tip: if you want the clearest way to the swing, continue taking the trail with the largest width, rather than the smaller trails.

Bob Jones Trail

An off-campus adventure, the Bob Jones Trail provides a beautiful route to Avila Beach. The trail itself has minimal hills and bumps, making it an easier-level option for a nice run. At the end of the trail features a direct path to Avila Beach where you can relax in the sand after an effective workout! If you have the modes of transportation to run off-campus, this trail is perfect for you!

To get to the Bob Jones trail from campus, take the US-101 South to exit 196 towards Avila Beach. You will then turn right onto San Luis Bay Dr. and then left onto Ontario Rd. The Bob Jones Trail will then be on your left.

Madonna Mountain

Madonna Mountain (also known as Cerro) is another off-campus trail that many students and residents enjoy throughout the year. Although “mountain” is in its name, the Madonna trail itself is easily accessible to run if you so desire. It remains a more challenging run due to the hill’s steepness; however, the challenge is worth the most magnificent view of SLO at the trail’s peak. Additionally, there are various trails on Madonna itself that you can choose from, ranging from more straightforward roads to forest paths. Enjoy this off-campus experience that leads to a new perspective of our beautiful “SLO”me.

From campus, take Foothill Blvd. and turn left onto Broad St. After, turn right onto Serrano Dr. and continue straight on where you will arrive at Madonna.

Bishop’s Peak

The most difficult and rigorous trail, Bishop’s Peak not only provides a great workout but also has the most amazing views of SLO. Its rocks and bumps creates a more challenging run, however the 360 degree views of SLO at the finish make the exhaustive journey all worthwhile. Seeing the town itself from a different perspective will not only provide you with exercise benefits, but a greater appreciation of the beautiful place we currently live in.

To get to Bishops Peak from campus, head southwest on Highland Dr. and continue straight onto Brittany Cir. The destination, and your awaiting adventure, will then be on your right.

Take a moment to admire all of the beautiful things SLO has to offer, all while getting fit at the same time! These easily accessible and breathtaking locations will give your body the exercise it needs and will give your mind the escape it wants from the stresses of everyday life. Enjoy SLO’s natural beauty when you have the miraculous opportunity to do so!

Hannah Perinich

Cal Poly '21

Hannah is currently a second year English major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. When she's not reading or writing, you can find her playing intramural sports with friends, running in the SLO hills, or listening to every and any kind of music she can get her hands on! To her, positivity is one of the most important characteristics that should be displayed and given in all aspects of life!