5 Bars You’ve Never Tried in SLO But Should ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Students over the age of ‘twenty-one and twenty-fun’ in San Luis Obispo are very lucky – we have a ton of nightlife options to choose from. Whether you want to dress up and dance under neon lights or grab a few beers and listen to some local music, Downtown SLO has a bar for everyone. You may already be a pro at navigating the college favorites, but there are some hidden spots that bring their own special something to a Saturday night. Here are five bars in SLO that you’ve probably never been to, but should definitely try.

1. Buffalo Pub and Grill Buffalo

This is a smaller bar hidden in between the more popular dance spots, but it is not worth skipping. The DJ plays a mix of today’s hits with old jams. Everything you love about the big dance club vibes you can find here- minus the long lines for drinks!

2. Underground Brewing Co.

Formerly known as Metro, this bar can be found on the corner of Broad and Higuera. Although it looks like a nice dinner option rather than a raging option, this bar is true to its name. With a taproom upstairs offering a classy vibe, you may not notice the full bar and dance floor downstairs. You can even catch them hosting KCPR concerts!

3. F. McLintocks

If you are more into the country music vibe but hate the crowds at Bull’s Tavern, head over to McLintocks. This steakhouse turns into a great place to grab a drink and dance at night. They play the perfect mix of country music and rap, so you and your friends will be happy. It is rumored they will even hand out sliders to the late-nighters sometimes, but shh! You didn’t hear it from us!

4. Blast 825

You may have already enjoyed Blast’s great food and the wall of drinks, but recently they’ve been offering some new late-night favorites! In addition to allowing you to fill your own cup with as much of any beer or wine of your choice, they now offer mixed drinks as well! Plus, they have begun to offer a DJ on the weekends now so you can dance (and drink) the night away!

5. BarrelHouse Brewing

This is a great spot for those who just want to avoid the craziness altogether. Offering their signature local beer, the atmosphere here is a bit more lowkey and calm compared its neighbors. It’s a self-proclaimed ‘modern-day speakeasy’ that offers a unique escape from reality. When you first enter, you see a simple barbershop, but follow the stairs down and enter a different time period. Brick walls and leather seats offer a historic and timeless feel that will help you take a step out of the wild weekend vibes.

San Luis Obispo offers tons of breweries and bars all over town. No matter what kind of experience you are seeking, you are sure to find something offering exactly what you’re looking for. Don’t be afraid to steer away from the usual spots, you never know what adventures you will find!