This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

When originally faced with the idea of having to do online classes, I thought that life was going to be easier, especially as a commuter. I no longer had to rush to prepare for my commute when class was just waiting by my bedside or on my desk. However, nowadays, I realize that I’m leaving my Zoom classes feeling tired — more than that even, I felt exhausted. Being me, I chalked it all up lack of sleep, having a bad day, or me simply being lazy. However, this is an ongoing phenomenon happening to many people working at home.

Many are calling it Zoom Fatigue and it is the tiredness that comes after many, many videocalls. Now, if you’re a workaholic like me, you might ask yourself, ‘but how can I be tired when I’m sitting in one place all day?’  Well…while your body might not physically engaged, your brain is focusing on so much more stimuli in an online class rather than a physical one. We don’t even realize that we’re putting our bodies through more activity than ever!

Here are just a couple of reasons why you might be feeling Zoom fatigue as well as some remedies that might alleviate the stress.

Woman in front of laptop with mask on
Photo by Edward Jenner from Pexels

ONE: You’re not only focusing on class, but you’re also focusing on everything else.

The idea of someone naked walking behind you while you’re having a video call has become an ongoing joke now, but it’s actually a great source of stress during online classes. While you’re attempting to focus on the professor’s lecture or trying to participate in class, your brain is also worried that something embarrassing or disruptive could happen behind your back without you knowing. This can also happen with smaller-scale disturbances too. For example, notice how you apologize to your classmates when the gardeners are working outside despite the fact that you’re only going to be talking for a few seconds.

We don’t have control over these disturbances, and that’s what makes them even more stressful. When we’re in a classroom, we don’t have to worry about what’s happening outside. At home, however, we feel like everything is our responsibility.

A possible solution: Put on a Zoom background! Not only will it make your Zoom session more fun, but it will also take your mind off of worrying that someone might walk behind you during class.

TWO: Looking at yourself can be quite stressful

Even on our best hair days, we can be so critical of what we do and what we look like. We aren’t used to watching ourselves in class, which often leads us to maintain a stiff posture rather than a relaxed one. More often than not, I find myself looking at myself more than my classmates or professor just to make sure I don’t unconsciously do anything humiliating in front of them. This has frequently resulted in me having a stiff back because I am more concerned with sitting upright and making sure I looked engaged when the professor speaks.

I know this to be a big stressor among students because a lot of us end up turning off our cameras. I know I would too if it weren’t for the fact that having my camera on helps me focus on the class more.

A possible solution: Click the ‘hide self-view’ option on Zoom so you don’t have to constantly look at yourself. I doubt there is anything you unconsciously do that will be totally embarrassing to your peers.

THREE: Online classes do not allow us to have a break and socialize like we used to

One of the things I miss about being on campus is the idle chatter that happens before, during, and after class. You know what it is — the simple “did you do the homework last night?” that happens before the professor walks in. It’s also the “what page are we turning to?” that happens when you’re lost during class. Although these may seem insignificant, they’re actually breaks we take in between work. It alleviates the tension that comes with coming to class and helps foster bonds between our friends and classmates. However, because we can’t see each other face to face anymore, this small but significant part of our day is gone. Class starts according to schedule and it does not stop until the hour ends. Breakout room time is so limited that we don’t get the opportunity to catch up with our friends anymore.

I find this to be a very important part of our student life because conversations like these are our unspoken way of saying ‘we’re all in this together’. When someone sympathizes with me on the difficulty of the class, I know that I’m not alone; we can both ask the professor for help. However, class has now become more solitary than ever, socially and physically.

A possible solution: Stay in contact with your friends and classmates before and after class. Even better, try to say ‘hello’ or genuinely ask your classmates how are you when your professor sends you to a breakout room.

Woman with curly hair waving and saying hi to someone through her laptop.
Photo by Yan from Pexels

I believe it’s important to understand where these Zoom Fatigue stressors are coming from in order to better understand ourselves. Perhaps knowing will help us find ways to combat it or help give each other a break. We’re already living through extraordinary circumstances; we don’t need to place any more pressure on ourselves if we can help it.

Nyle De Leon

Cal Lutheran '21

Born and raised in the Philippines, and then moved to California, Nyle is CLU English major with a creative writing emphasis. She loves everything that has to do with language, whether it be reading, writing or speaking -- you name it, she loves it. If not writing for herself or others, Nyle can be found talking about her favorite stories and shows, creating decent art, and maybe ice skating.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!