This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

You Are A Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness And Start Living an Awesome Life. 

I have never been someone to pick up a book and read for fun, until recently. Now I enjoy reading and I find it to be very relaxing and educational. 

The book, You Are A Badass is written by Jen Sincero for people who want to improve their lives and create a life they love. As stated on the back of the book,“By the end of You Are a Badass, you’ll have a better understanding of why you are how you are, how to love what you can’t change, how to change what you don’t love, and how to use The Force to kick some serious ass.”

First off, this book will positively change your life and you will gain so much knowledge from this read. 

I bought this book a few months ago because one of my friends read it and said how much she loved and enjoyed reading it. After she recommended the book to me, I decided to buy my own copy. When the book arrived, I could not put it down. Hands down, this is my favorite book I have ever read and here’s why…

Sincero emphasizes the importance of self love at the end of each chapter in the book.

At the end of each chapter she gives advice on the topic of the chapter and the last point made at the end is, “Love yourself, Like you’re the only one there is.”

The reason why I love this phrase is because she always comes back to this point throughout the book and she states how self love can change everything and can create abundant amounts of happiness and positivity in your life. Self love can solve all of your problems. 

The book is broken up into five parts. The first few parts talk about who you are as a person and what you have to offer in this lifetime. The last few parts are more interactive and involve some journaling and reflecting as these parts emphasize how to actually “kick ass” in your life and how to make the best of you and your life. 

This is why part five is my favorite section. This last part talks about what goals you want to accomplish in your life and how writing them down, making vision boards etc. can help you achieve anything you desire. This last part also talks about how you have to stay true to yourself in this lifetime. In this part, Sincero explains how you will not be successful if you do not ‘fail’ along the way. She explains that the only failure in life is quitting and everything else is just gathering information. 

Overall, here are my key takeaways from reading this book:

1. Live for yourself, not others 

2. Negative thoughts hold you back

3. Take action to achieve your goals and anything you desire

4. Don’t give up!

5. You are loved

6. Never apologize for who you are

7. Love yourself

Paige Sanders

Cal Lutheran '24

Hi! My name is Paige Sanders and I am from Stillwater, Minnesota. I am majoring in Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations and a minor in Environmental Studies. I enjoy spending time with friends at the beach, taking pictures, and writing.