This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Spring Break is a vacation period people can look forward to. For some people, spring break means traveling and taking an exotic vacation. For others, spring break means relaxing and staying at home. Wherever you end up this spring break, remember the importance of staying offline and to unplug for a few days.

Phones and social media can get the best of us sometimes and we can get addicted to our phones for many reasons. Personally, I love social media and interacting with people online, and posting content. However, it is important to keep in mind to take social media breaks or phone breaks and remember to live in the moment away from our phones. 

Being present has many benefits. Being off our phones allows us to be mindful. When we are mindful, we are engaged with life and the things happening around us. This is important because we can become aware and focused on the things around us and make memories rather than focusing on the things online other people are posting or doing. 

Another benefit of staying off your phone is this activity can increase your mood by making you happier. When we focus our attention on ourselves and the things happening around us, we become happier by forgetting about the things on our phones. Another benefit is this can help regulate emotions and decrease stress and anxiety. 

People can have more genuine conversations and improved communication when unplugging from their phones. Phones are a big distraction for many people and this can affect how people communicate with one another. When we decide to put the phones down and have a conversation with someone, this allows for improved communication because phones are not in the way to disrupt and distract from the conversation. 

Vacation is a time for people to relax, take a break from life, and focus on enjoying themselves. People often need a break from work and school, so it is important to remember to be content with avoiding your phone. 

On spring break, I encourage you to stay off your phone as much as you can because this is your time off to relax, be present, make memories, and enjoy living in the moment. For spring break this year, I will be on vacation spending a lot of time with my family and friends. I do not want my phone to be a distraction for me during the break, so I am planning on staying off my phone as much as I can and focusing on enjoying quality time with my friends and family, relaxing, and being present. 

This year for spring break I am going to be more present and away from my phone, and I encourage you to do the same!

Paige Sanders

Cal Lutheran '24

Hi! My name is Paige Sanders and I am from Stillwater, Minnesota. I am majoring in Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations and a minor in Environmental Studies. I enjoy spending time with friends at the beach, taking pictures, and writing.