This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

With everything going on in the world due to the coronavirus (COVID-19), a lot of our routines are being altered and we’re having to temporarily adjust to a new normal. People are taking classes online, working from home, receiving their human interaction from FaceTime and Zoom calls, and overall just spending more time at home. Making the adjustment to doing everything from home can be difficult. In order to still get your work done and remain a sense of normalcy among this lifestyle switch, here are five tips to adjust to our temporary new normal.

1. Stick to a schedule.

Even though you’re not leaving the house, you really should still be sticking to a schedule. It’s fine if it’s a loose schedule. Continue to wake up and go to sleep at appropriate times because trying to fix your sleep schedule is the worst and it’s hard to stay on top of all your tasks when you’re not waking up until four in the afternoon. This goes for your responsibilities too. Know when you’re going to start working and know when you’re going to put away your work for the day. Working from home can make it hard to identify the difference, so set a schedule for when you’re working and when to rest. Oh yeah, and don’t forget to make time to drink your water and eat your normal three meals a day.

Emily Veith

2. Get showered and dressed.

Knowing that you won’t be leaving the house and seeing people instantly makes us want to lounge around in our pajamas all day and relax but save that for the weekends or whenever you don’t have as many responsibilities. During the weekdays, continue to wake up at a normal time and take your shower. Taking a shower helps you feel good about yourself, boosts your confidence, and prepares you to take on the day. Don’t put on your pajamas again though. You don’t have to wear jeans at home, ok, let’s not be crazy here, but a cute legging and top would be a nice compromise. Get dressed in what’s going to make you feel good and comfortable so you can tackle all those Zoom meetings with confidence.  

Amanda Vick via Unsplash

3. Have a designated work area.

This is similar to what I said for having a schedule because working from home can make it hard to switch from relaxing to being in work mode since you no longer have an office or workspace to leave to, your home is your workplace. In an attempt to make it easier to get into a work mode during the day or a relaxing headspace at night, have a place that you know is meant for work. Doing your work in bed sounds convenient, but then it’s hard to identify when you’re working diligently and when you’re slacking off. You also don’t want your home life, like doing the laundry and dishes, to distract you from your work. Find a table to do your work and leave the bed for relaxing.  

MacBook Air beside gold-colored study lamp and spiral books
Arnel Hasanovic / Unsplash

4. Make a to-do list.

Again, it’s hard to find the balance of being at home to relax and being at home to work. Make a to-do list every day so you know exactly what tasks you have to get done before you can spread out on the couch and binge your favorite series on Netflix.

5. Do something that will make you feel good.

Being at home is nice but it can also feel unproductive despite how great the day was simply because you didn’t leave the house. Don’t let that be how you feel. Once you have your schedule set and you know when and where you’ll be doing your work at home, have something that is going to make you feel good and normal. This can be anything including a workout that you found on YouTube, playing a game, going outside and getting some fresh air, playing an instrument, having a dance party by yourself to move your body and release any stress, making an iced Chai, or playing with makeup and trying out a new hairstyle. It doesn’t matter what you choose but do something every day that will make you feel normal and like you weren’t cooped up all day.

book, flowers and audrey hepburn
Magda fou / Unsplash

All these tips are doable and sound like common sense, but you need to actually stick to them and hold yourself accountable. There’s no one else that will be there telling you what to do or guiding you through this process. It’s all on you to adjust these tips to your needs and create a routine you love. Make the most of this time at home and know that it’s only a matter of time before life goes back to normal.

Sabrina Riggan

Cal Lutheran '20

Sabrina Riggan is a senior at California Lutheran University, majoring in Psychology with a minor in Communication. She is passionate about dogs, all things entertainment, online shopping, anything that can come in pink, strolls through Trader Joe's, and memes relating to her being a Scorpio.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!