This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

There comes a point in the semester where you end up with four projects, two exams, and a research paper due in the same week, and rightfully start to panic. For those situations, instead of sitting there overwhelmed with the chaos of your life, try heading out for a hike to get some exercise and clear your head. If you’re looking for a quick trip, head across the street behind the gym for a leisurely hike up to the cross or check out the list below of local trails that will give you chance to have fun and de-stress!  

1. Wildwood Regional Park

928 W Avenida de Los Arboles

Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

This one is probably the most convenient and relatively easier to venture. Located right down the street, this trail is great if you want to stroll around or take a brisk walk through the serene nature Thousand Oaks has to offer.

2. Paradise Falls

928 W Avenida de Los Arboles

Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

This local waterfall is located in the same trailhead as Wildwood. The hike’s incline offers more of a challenge as you make your way uphill towards the waterfall. With the warm weather still lingering here at Cal Lutheran, Paradise Falls is a perfect destination for great views and possibly some cliff jumping, if you’re feeling adventurous. There are several other trails to explore, 14 in total that cover roughly17 miles all in all. You can pick your trail based on your ability, the view, or whatever suits you!  They are all at the same address on Arboles, so you can see something new without having to travel very far!

3. Wood Ranch Trails

Wood Ranch Pkwy

Simi Valley, CA 93065

Just over the hill in Simi Valley, Wood Ranch has several beautiful trails that overlook the city. Each trail is uphill for the majority of the hike, and ranges from two to eight miles in distance. This one doesn’t tend to be overcrowded, so if you’re looking for some solitude this may be the place!

4. Conejo Valley Botanic Garden

400 W Gainsborough Rd

Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

This hike is definitely suitable for beginners. It is less than a mile and is a beautiful walk through big Oak trees that have a beautiful view. I recommend this one to anybody who wants to take a walk by themselves, to simply enjoy the scenery without overexerting, so you can decompress from the stresses of school, work, and everything in between.

5. Satwiwa to Tri Peaks

Lynn Rd & Via Goleta

Newbury Park, CA 91320

This one is for all types of hikers. Tri Peaks offers short trails with little incline that makes an easy walk and intense trails for the brave souls. The Sycamore Canyon trail is uphill and over eight miles one way, but leads you to Malibu and beautiful views. If you’re up for it, you can even make it to the beach! How’s that for a workout, hike ALL the way to the beach! There are plenty of bathrooms and signs to make it safe, and it is so worth it. You can even bring a picnic and swimsuit along for the beach when you make it, just be prepared!

*Most of these trail have free parking, so hiking can be an inexpensive way to enjoy nature, have some alone time, or have a fun day with friends. Always tell someone where you are headed, even if you go with a buddy but especially if you plan to venture alone. As an added tip, remember to beware of wildlife, there are warnings of rattlesnakes!

Happy hiking!

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!