This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

You’ve tried everything. Yoga, essential oils, meditation, tea, and even connecting with nature haven’t seemed to ease your anxiety at all. Despite the fact that health and healing blogs tell you that these factors are helpful, the truth is that anxiety is about chemical fluxuations in the body; to do away with anxiety, you actually have to focus on balancing hormones. Many people with GAD (general anxiety disorder) are prescribed medication to assist with bodily processes, but as college students, we either have bouts of stress and only need temporary results, or we don’t have the time or money to visit a therapist twice a month and offer copay for both the doctor and the medication!

As a disclaimer I am not a practitioner, but I can recommend several anti-anxiety and de-stress options that are simple, natural, over-the-counter, and widely used for medicinal purposes by peoples and cultures worldwide. 

Firstly, one thing listicle blogs are right about is sleep. In order for your body to function properly, it needs to rest, but most people with anxiety and depression disorders often experience insomnia as well. Melatonin can assist with falling and staying asleep, as well as regulating sleep-wake cycles.

Photo Courtesy of Pexels.com 

Since the body produces this hormone naturally, pills, tablets, and sprays are simply safe, low-dose supplements for insufficient melatonin production. Bonus: it’s fairly cheap at most convenience and drug stores! While on the topic of relaxants, the hormone Serotonin is also vital in reducing stressors and often helping with sleep. However, the pure substance is rather expensive, but many other supplements can greatly increase its production, such as 5-HTP, which is much, much more affordable. If you prefer something even more natural, goji berry juice helps with mood, sleep, and feelings of calmness. It also promotes skin health, so consider adding them to a smoothie every once in a while!

Whether there are normal stressors, such as midterms and presentations, or everyday nervousness, there are two excellent options to reduce anxiety and improve focus. 

Photo Courtesy of Pexels.com

L-theanine is excellent for mental performance and has been shown to decrease blood pressure in some patients. In the case of daily issues due to mild depression and other mood disorders, St. John’s Wort can reduce uneasiness, tension, and nervous feelings. both options have shown improved short and long term results in mental activity and concentration that is often impaired by multiple learning and mood disorders. 

Sometimes, stress is just simply hormonal, and there are certain weeks of the month that cause us to panic more than normal. Ginkgo, Maca, and Vitex berry are three plant-based substances that are shown to decrease feelings of anxiety while also treating the symptoms of PMS! And don’t just take my word for it; they’re ancient remedies that have worked for women across the globe. Ginkgo is most often offered in tablet form for those looking for anti-anxiety solutions, but the extract has been shown to improve circulation and relieve PMS symptoms as well. Maca is a powder often used in certain foods and soups for balancing hormone processes in the two most important places: the digestive and reproductive systems. Last, but certainly not least is Vitex berry, the ultra hormone imbalance, magnesium supplement, and PMS warrior sworn upon for centuries of medicinal and herbal practice. The downside of these options is that they may be a bit harder to find and a little more expensive, but most herbal suppliers provide moderate dosages-either in pill or extract form-for less than fifteen to twenty dollars. 

Not all of these work for everyone, and of course, those who believe they have a severe anxiety disorder should take the time to consult their doctor, but for easy, natural relief, these supplements and herbal remedies are safe and effective. They simply promote bodily processes and allow your hormones to adjust properly to ensure good nights of sleep, reduce nervous/anxious thoughts, and balance estrogen and progesterone to diminish stressors and symptoms of PMS. So, if hot yoga isn’t quite working in relieving your anxiety, consider adding a simple, practical, and affordable remedy to your routine this year!

Alea Lehr

Cal Lutheran '21

A Biology major with a love for anything and everything in the ocean! Any time away from examining coral structures, wading through streams, looking at cells, or grappling immunohistofluorescence is spent reading, writing, and baking. (She has the best banana bread recipe) Though she mostly composes scientific papers, creative writing is her true passion, and when she isn't coming up with an article, she's jotting down ideas for novels. During a bad case of writer's block, she tries to find inspiration by talking to her best friend, and dog, Bear.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!