This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Coughing, runny nose, sore throat? Sounds like you are the inevitable: sick. It is that time of year again where it seems like everyone around you is sick. As much as you try to avoid it, the little cold bug has got to you. If you’re like me with over-the-counter medicine, as effective as it may be, it can lead to drowsiness and overall it makes me feel worse than I already am when I’m sick.

Photo courtesy of Unsplash

But don’t worry! Here are some natural sick remedies to help you get over that cold a little bit faster:

1. Starbuck’s Coldbuster/Medicine Ball

This drink went viral a couple of years ago, and to this day, people stand by this being the holy grail of Starbuck’s drinks to get when you’re feeling under the weather. This drink consists of Jade Citrus Mint Tea and Peach Tranquility Tea. It is then steeped in half hot water and half lemonade, with a drizzle of honey to top it off. This is one of my go-to sick remedies whenever I feel a cough coming. It really soothes the throat, and overall, it tastes good.

Photo courtesy of Unsplash

2. Lemons!

Even though they may leave a sour taste in your mouth, they can be a sweet factor in almost every cold. One of the best ways to get some lemon intake is by squeezing lemon into the water that you drink. Lemons are packed with vitamin C, which helps in boosting your immune system. Although, I have to note that vitamin C doesn’t cure the cold, according to Webmd.com but your daily dose of vitamin C can help make future colds have a shorter duration. More than anything, lemon especially in hot water/tea helps provide relief for a sore throat.

3. Sweeten Things Up with Honey

Honey is known for it antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. One of the things that honey can replace is cough medicine, according to mayoclinic.org. If you feel a little cough coming along, try tasting a bit of honey to help. Plus, honey doesn’t taste bad like cough drops.

Photo courtesy of Unsplash

4. The Saltwater Gargle

I learned about gargling salt water from my mom, who probably learned it from her mom. What you do is take about ¼ teaspoon and dissolve it in warm water. Then promptly gargle the water. I’m not sure about the science behind it but from past experiences it has helped to relieve my throat whenever it gets irritated.  

5. Soup and Warm Liquids

One of the best things to eat when you’re sick is a nice bowl of warm soup. My personal favorite soup to eat is lauya, a Filipino beef based soup that my grandma would always make me. In general, warm liquids help relieve your immune system by easing up the congestion you may feel. So, whenever you’re feeling under the weather, cook up your favorite soup recipes.

Photo courtesy of Unsplash

These are just some of the things I like to incorporate into my life when I’m feeling a little under the weather. But of course, the best way to get over a cold the fastest is to rest. As intuitive as it may seem, just by giving your body some rest can help your cold heal faster. I hope you don’t find yourself with the unfortunate event of getting sick. With the end of the semester coming fast, remember to take care of yourself!

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!