This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Isaac Arias graduated in 2014 with a BA in Music with an emphasis in Education. Some fun facts about Isaac are: he has three siblings, he’s the only one in his family who plays an instrument, he teaches middle school music, he’s left handed, and his favorite candy bar is a Kit Kat. Read on to learn more about this Cal Lutheran Alumni.Her Campus Cal Lutheran: What’s your favorite memory from CLU?

Isaac Arias: I would say that it’s more of a feeling, the feeling of coming back to my dorm at the end of the day and just hanging out with roommates. It was peaceful, especially before starting on homework or studying.

HCCLU: What were you involved in during your undergrad?

IA: I was in the wind ensemble for my four years and I was also a part of Student Support Services.HCCLU: What professor at CLU influenced you the most?

IA: Dr. Hart because I worked with him all four years, in wind ensemble and class, which helped build our relationship. He would talk to me about his experience in music and in teaching it. I admired his advice on what I would face in the future and the information he gave me, it made me trust him.

HCCLU: Why did you decide to become a teacher?

IA: In high school, I spent a lot of time with music and in helping my peers. I quickly discovered that I very easily can help people in the way that the teacher couldn’t, I could view the situation in a different perspective. That feeling was very rewarding to me as a high school student, so I knew it meant something. It made me happy helping others and I knew I could make money off of it.

HCCLU: Did you always want to be a music teacher?

IA: I originally wanted to be a veterinarian. I’ve been interested in music since my junior year of high school.

HCCLU: How would you describe life after CLU?

IA: I feel very independent. I think about how now that I have my education, I can decide what to do with it, what to make of it, when I want to pass it down to other people or not. It is very opening and rewarding to me. I’m doing this because I can, it’s very liberating. For example, in school you have assessments to tell you how you are doing but now, no one is telling you what the end goal is.

HCCLU: Has life after graduating gone the way you expected?

IA: It has actually gone better than expected. After graduating I was always afraid of not finding employment especially with the field that I chose, luckily I was surprised with how much work I found and the position that I received, work has been fun. Finding out that the choice I made is what I like doing reminds me of how lucky I am.HCCLU: Who has had the biggest influence in your life?

IA: Definitely my mom, she was the one who told me to start music in the first place. She told me she wanted me to play saxophone and I fell in love with that and teaching. In reality, she chose my career.

HCCLU: What advice would you give to current undergrad students?

IA: Stress less, find out what works for you, and don’t worry about what anyone else is doing (in terms of school).

HCCLU: If you could go back and pick a different major, what would it be and why?

IA: I wouldn’t exactly change my major, but I would teach middle school science or math. Both of these subjects are very clear cut, it’s either right or wrong, it’s a number system. They’re very definite versus history or English, where it’s mostly based on your opinion. I want black and white, I want answers.

Leslie Madrigal

Cal Lutheran '20

Hello, my name is Leslie Madrigal. I am a senior at Cal Lutheran double-majoring in Criminal Justice and Spanish with a minor in Ethnic Studies! Besides being a part of Her Campus, I am also the Co-President for the Latin American Student Organization, Vice President of My Generation My Fight, and Secretary for the Criminal Justice Student Association. I work on campus at the Office of the President as well as having an off campus job in retail. And I volunteer for the Safe Passage Program through the Criminal Justice Department.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!