This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Coming to a new school, freshman year, or returning the following years can be a difficult time to make new friends. Most people are eager in their freshman year because, for the most part, no one knows anyone and so they want to socialize and form friend groups. Once those friend groups are formed, people tend to cling onto them. But there are many people who still look forward to making new friends, even after they’ve formed their solid friend groups. Here are some strategies you can use at Cal Lu, or any university, in order to branch out and make new friends. 

1) If you live on campus, try to keep your room door open so people can come in and you can meet your neighbors and hall-mates. There are usually over 50 people in each resident hall, and if you’re in the bigger ones like Grace or Trinity there are way more. Try to keep your door open and talk to new people. Usually students have their doors closed and when their friends come over they’ll open the door just to let them in. If you leave your door open it leaves the opportunity of meeting new people open. 

2) Try to join more clubs and organizations. I know that’s really cliché, but it really is one of the best ways to make more friends. When you join more clubs you get to be a part of a group of people who are passionate about the same things you are. Next time there is an involvement fair make sure to give it more thought and effort. You could find your best friend from joining a club! 

3) Go out of your comfort zone and talk to a new person in one of your classes. It may be uncomfortable at first or a bit awkward however there is always the possibility you will click. Conversation can start flowing and by the end of a class you guys can become best friends. And if it doesn’t work the first time, don’t let that discourage you. Make the effort to go out of your comfort zone and after the first time it will only get easier.

4) Getting an on campus job is a great way of meeting more people especially if it’s working the candy shack, Student Union, or other student populated areas. Without even realizing it you start meeting more people than you could’ve imagined. You’re getting paid, which is a boost for the college budget, and another bonus is making new friends.

The people you surround yourself with, in college and in life, are a huge part of the person you become. And sometimes the best friends you make aren’t within your first semester or year at college. It takes time and you’ll experiences some friendship “break-ups”, but the ones who are meant to stay will make the effort to do so. Try branching out and when you do so you can find the best friends out of the most surprising people. You may not expect to get along with someone so well but once you actually have a conversation you can find so many similarities. 

Singing, writing, and photography are what I love to do.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!