This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

It’s been almost a month since Cal Lutheran students left our campus and began our studies at home. We have all been slowly adjusting to our new normal, which includes being separated from our friends and family. Social distancing — while incredibly important for the health of our communities — can be difficult when considering things you might be missing out on. I come from a large family who loves getting together as often as we can. Yet due to our current circumstances, I couldn’t see them for my birthday or Easter. My favorite part of these celebrations are not the thoughtful presents or delicious food, but being surrounded by all those I love most in the world. Easter and Passover are some of the first holidays that have been affected by the pandemic. They may not feel the same as they have in the past, but that doesn’t mean we can’t find joy in the situation we are in. Here are some tips for enjoying every celebration you may encounter during social distancing.

1. Try incorporating as many of your traditions as you can! We may not be able to do everything we usually do, but we can try to recreate our holidays as much as possible! On Easter Sunday, many churches whose doors are closed to the public live-streamed a service for people to watch at home. You can also try cooking some of your traditional foods! Although some ingredients may be a bit tricky to come by, you can get creative and have fun with a cooking buddy.

2. Make new traditions! We may not be able to spend big days with everyone we want or go do an activity that we love to do. But we can still make the most of the situation we are in and try something new! Have a movie night, do a puzzle, or sit in the backyard and stare up at the stars. Spending those simple moments together can make for a very special day. Who knows, maybe you’ll start new traditions that you can keep doing every year!

stack of jigsaw puzzle pieces
Hans-Peter Gauster/Unsplash

3. Decorate! Given that we’re spending so much time in our homes, try changing up your space to make it feel special! Blow up a few balloons for your parents’ anniversary, or tape up some drawings for your sister’s birthday. Simple things such as making a bouquet out of flowers from the yard can help add joy to your environment during a celebration.

4. Dress up! I don’t know about you, but I’ve mostly been switching off between different pairs of pajamas the last few weeks. We might be forgetting to take care of ourselves during these difficult times, so use your celebration to spend some time on yourself. Do a facemask, break out your favorite eyeshadow palette, and dust off that dress you haven’t worn for a while. Have a backyard photoshoot to commemorate the event. Spending extra time on yourself might help the whole day feel extra fun!

Bgb Editor'S Letter Hero Image
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media

5. Connect with friends and family! Though we can’t be together in person, we are lucky enough to have technology available to still connect with loved ones. Since we couldn’t be together like usual, my cousin hosted a zoom meeting for our whole family to still see each other at Easter. Just seeing your loved ones’ faces, hearing their voices and cracking jokes, can be enough to make the distance not feel so bad. Whether you send a friend an e-card or call your grandma on her birthday, there are still ways to chat with others and let them know you care. 

Sure, we may still miss being physically near our friends and family. Yet it is vital we stick to the distancing guidelines in place to ensure we all stay safe and healthy. All of our milestones we encounter during this time may not feel normal. But trying our best to enjoy them — and keeping connected with those we love — will help us get through this difficult time. Whether you’re baking a cake with your parents or making crafts with your little sibling, making the most of the time we have together can make any day a special day. 

Caroline Lopez

Cal Lutheran '23

Hello! My name is Caroline and I’m an English major at California Lutheran University. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California, and love spending time going to the beach and traveling around the state. I am a passionate book nerd who spends all her free time reading the classics, watching old movies, and writing!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!