This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Destiny Rosado is a first year, first-generation, student here at Cal Lutheran. She was born and raised in Upland, CA with her older brother by her amazing mom. Destiny is excited for what is to come within her college experience. She describes herself as someone who really enjoys hanging out with friends when she has free time as well as being very family oriented and loves anytime she gets to spend with her loved ones. Read on to learn more about Destiny!

Her Campus at Cal Lutheran: Why did you decide to come to CLU?

Destiny Rosado: I really wanted to go to a small school and to be slightly far from home. I was stuck between two schools, but when I toured the other school, I didn’t get that “I belong here” experience or feeling. When I came for Admitted Students Day to CLU, I fell in love with the campus and the people, and I got that gut feeling that this is the one, this is the school for me.

HCCLU: What’s your major and how did you decide on it?

DR: History Pedagogy with a minor in Spanish. Towards the end of my high school career, I discovered by passion for helping others and I realized I wanted to teach. Specifically, I wanted to teach high school students. I had to pick a subject to teach and decided on History because I loved the subject and I believe students should get more than what is in history textbooks today. I decided to add a Spanish minor because I really want to learn the language and I want to be able to communicate with the students and their parents who have Spanish as their first language.

HCCLU: What has been the hardest transition of starting college?

DR: To get acclimated to classes and the work assigned, it is a lot different than the busy work we were given in high school. I am really being pushed academically here and I believe it is a good thing for me as a student.

HCCLU: What’s your favorite class this semester? 

DR: Acting is my favorite class; I feel like I am really getting out of my comfort zone in this class. I have learned a lot about projection and posture so far in these last three weeks and am super excited for what is to come. 

HCCLU: Have you gotten involved with anything on campus so far?

DR: I have joined Sisters’ Circle, Black Student Union, and the Latin American Student Organization so far. I am also a part of Student Support Services. And I recently earned the position of Freshman Representative on the ASCLUG Programs Board.

HCCLU: What are you most looking forward to within the next four years?

DR: I’m super excited to meet more people and get out of my comfort zone. I am looking forward to learning about others’ experiences and cultures and am ready to just create an impact on campus by spreading kindness and positivity.

two different people\'s arms reach out in front of the St. Louis arch, their pointer finger and middle fingers coming together to make a heart
Jennifer Burk | Unsplash

HCCLU: Who inspires you the most in life?

DR: My amazing mom inspires me the most. She always worked hard to provide for my brother and me as a single parent. She also taught me the most valuable lesson at a very young age, which was that family is not always blood, but it is who supports and loves you unconditionally. This was really big for me because our immediate family seemed so small to me. She inspired me to find meaningful friendship and cherish the ones you do have because they last a lifetime.

HCCLU: What advice do you want to give to your future self?

DR: To accept that higher education is where I belong. I sometimes start to think that I am here by chance or luck. I would advise my future self that anything that I’m doing is something I worked hard to get to.

Leslie Madrigal

Cal Lutheran '20

Hello, my name is Leslie Madrigal. I am a senior at Cal Lutheran double-majoring in Criminal Justice and Spanish with a minor in Ethnic Studies! Besides being a part of Her Campus, I am also the Co-President for the Latin American Student Organization, Vice President of My Generation My Fight, and Secretary for the Criminal Justice Student Association. I work on campus at the Office of the President as well as having an off campus job in retail. And I volunteer for the Safe Passage Program through the Criminal Justice Department.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!