This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

With the holiday season approaching, I am feeling so many emotions. This is my favorite time of year because I get to spend so much time with my family and express my love language of gift-giving. It is the final break of the year and a time to decompress. I can go on and on about all the great things about the holiday but it’s also really hard. It is cold outside and while I like it somewhat, it also makes me extremely emotional. The holidays remind me of the family I wish were here and finals make me extremely anxious. I still feel a lot of pressure at this time of year, but this year I have decided to force a shift in my moods. I am trying to be as excited about the holiday season as possible, and in doing so, I have compiled a list to help anyone who feels like me.

1. Watch Your Favorite Holiday Movie

Yesterday, I watched Home Alone and sat in my room sipping on an iced chai. It was nice and it made me feel more excited about the holidays. I even started wrapping a few gifts I have picked up for my family. You can do this with any of your favorite holiday films. Some films to consider are The Grinch, Home Alone (1 or 2), Holidate, and basically any Hallmark movie. 

2. Getting Holiday-Inspired Foods

There are so many foods that come around as a seasonal option so why not take the time to enjoy them? I like to bake more cakes and cookies to keep the house a bit warmer. You can also get together with friends and make it a whole thing for yourselves. 

3. Buying Gifts

One of my biggest love languages is gift-giving, so I truly enjoy picking out gifts for all the people in my life. This year, I even decided to handwrite cards to add to each gift and purchased candy canes to tie into the gifts. Even if you do not celebrate anything, there is never something wrong with getting something for someone you love. If none of that sounds good, then at least there are good sales. 

4. Donating

This season really makes me want to keep giving to others. Everywhere you go, there are opportunities to donate to those in need. In the stores, there are toy drive boxes and even in our Student Union, there are constant opportunities. Right now, you can donate to the Doves of Love and pick everyday needed items for those in need. 

Whatever it is you have planned for this holiday season, I hope you get to enjoy it. I encourage you to do your best to get excited, but I also understand that it is not always easy. Take each day at a time and give yourself a lot of grace. Remember to be kind to others because as I have mentioned, this season is hard. Hug everyone around you a little closer. Enjoy the small moments like finding a good deal on a top or putting the ornaments on a tree. Take in the big moments, like eating a good meal around the table with your favorite people. Happy Holiday season!

xthlali nunez

Cal Lutheran '23

Hi, I'm Xthlali, most people call me Lali. I am a senior philosophy major and have hopes of attending law school. I run sprints for the Track & Field team here at Cal Lutheran.