This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

My time here at Cal Lutheran has given me the opportunity to meet some really amazing people. As a Senior Resident Assistant of one of the residence halls on campus, I’ve had this amazing staff that I get the privilege to work with. One of my fantastic staff members is Sofia “Sof” Mikaeili, a junior who’s majoring in Marketing and Communications. She’s witty and bubbly and never fails to have a smile on her face. With her talent and drive, her aspiration to become a CEO will no doubt come true.

Her Campus at Cal Lutheran: What do you want to do with your major?

Sofia Mikaeili:I want to become an art director at a magazine, preferably Sports Illustrated. I really like layout and layout work, not necessarily design, but making the layout of a page.

HCCLU: What got you into that field?

SM: Yearbook, high school yearbook. I did it for three years and I enjoyed it. I felt like I had a knack for it, specifically making the pages and laying out pictures and text and I realized I could make this my career.

HCCLU: Have you always wanted to be an art director then?

SM: No, I came into college as an Exercise Science/Sports Medicine major. But then I realized that I really hate anatomy, I didn’t want to learn about it, I didn’t want to study it. Then I changed to Business Administration because I’ve always wanted to be a CEO, but I didn’t like that either. So I landed on Marketing and Communications because I think you can do anything with it and Design falls under Marketing and Comm as well. I felt like it was a more open option and there were a lot more fields for me to go into. 

HCCLU: You’ve mentioned sports quite a few times, were you an athlete?

SM: I played basketball since I was 8; I played basketball in high school and I play JV basketball here at Cal Lutheran. My family is very basketball oriented and I have cousins who played basketball from junior high up until college. Lakers games are always on in my house. Any time there’s a game, we’re probably watching basketball, not football or anything. I grew up around it and so it was something that brought the family closer, I enjoyed it and I ended up being good at it.

Sofia and her high school basketkball team

HCCLU: Did you kow you wanted to continue playing basketball when you got to Cal Lutheran?

SM: I wanted to continue on the higher level but I’m super injured everywhere, so that’s why I decide to play JV instead. This way I could also just focus on school work, since that is why I’m really here.

Sofia and some of her Cal Lutheran teammates

HCCLU: Has it been difficult to transition from your schedule as an athlete in high school to your schedule now?

SM: It’s hard because I used to work out and now I don’t since I feel like I’ve always had someone telling me what to do, when to do it, and where to do it. Not having that makes me feel like I don’t know what I’m doing when I go to the gym because I don’t have that guidance. I feel like it holds me back from being in the best shape I could be in, it’s definitely an adjustment. I have more time on my hands than I’m used to having but the RA position has filled that time.

HCCLU: So what’s being an RA like?

SM: I enjoy it a lot. I enjoy making the friends that I do, not just other RAs but also my residents. This is my second year as an RA, last year I was in Thompson which is a first year hall and now I’m in Trinity, which is an upperclassmen hall.  

Sofia and the rest of the Trinity Staff

HCCLU: What are some of the classes that you‘ve taken that really interest you or have challenged you?

SM: I’m in Consumer Behavior right now and it’s really interesting because we’re talking about every day things and what makes a consumer want to buy things. I’ve noticed that as a society, we’re influenced by the simplest things. We did a little survey in our class of about 35 students; not a single person had an Android, everyone had an iPhone, everyone had either had an iPad or a Macbook. No one had a Dell or HP. Then we talked about how Apple really isn’t the best, but we’re all kind of sucked into buying Apple. The phones break down after two years, but we’re still out in the line getting the new phone! I have the Apple watch, an iPhone, and a Macbook Pro, why do I need all of those? It comes down to compatibility as well as other factors that lead to a consumer buying an item. We also talked about Nike, Adidas and Under Armour- they’re all selling the same item but you’re really buying the brand. It’s the question of which brand do you want people to know you have. And Rebok is just not allowed at this point because it’s all based on the influences from society. And from those influences, we also create biases towards people who don’t have what society says is “the best.” Going back to the iPhone, if you were to have an Android, people with iPhones complain about it, about the “green text bubble.” It’s embedded into us, it’s the same concept with Fila. When Fila wasn’t a thing, when it was being sold at Walmart, no one wanted it. But now Fila is back and it’s more expensive. Society is the one who dictates what the next big thing is and it goes to show that you can wear whatever you want, but it doesn’t matter because anything can become the new thing.

HCCLU: Between all the brands you listed, which brand is the one you love?

SM: I love Nike, Nike’s awesome. First of all, I like Nike because it’s sleek. Everything is lightweight for the most part. I also stand behind what Nike is doing, with Serena Williams and with Colin Kaepernick, with their motto in general. All their commercials are amazing and it pinpoints the beast inside of you.

HCCLU: Do you think it’s important for companies like that to take a stand?

SM: Yes because they are in the public eye and they’re one of the bigger outlets to get a problem out to the world. Especially Nike because Nike is dominating the athletic world. You don’t have to agree with them, but they’re getting problems into the public eye by taking a stance which is good because certain topics need to be talked about. 

HCCLU: What are some topics you think need to be talked about?

SM: Something I really enjoy is Amber Rose’s Slut Walk. I think that needs to be in the public eye. Amber Rose puts on this walk, this is either going to be her second or third year. It’s called the Slut Walk because it’s meant to empower females however they please and regardless of how a female is dressed, it does not give you the right to sexually assault her. Usually to take a stand, female are not wearing as much clothes as normal. But the whole point of the campaign is to prove that just because she looks like this, does not give you the right to sexually assault her. All the money raised goes to several organizations. I’m passionate about this too because the concept or the idea that “she was asking for it because she was dressed like that” is so wrong. That is something I stand by.

HCCLU: Do you have a favorite quote or something you live by?

SM: I truly believe everything happens for a reason. But for a quote, “she is an unstoppable force,” I have it on my wall and also as a tattoo. It’s empowering for me because I’m involved in fields that are pretty male dominated. I’ve always been pushed back a little bit, but it’s a reminder to myself that you can do this. 

Kyla Buenaventura

Cal Lutheran '19

Kyla Buenaventura was the Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran from 2017-2019. She double majored in Economics and Political Science with an emphasis in Law and Public Policy. When she was still at Cal Lutheran, she loved writing and inspiring her Writing Team to express their love and passion for topics through their own unique writing styles.