This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

College can become very stressful, and most college students allow the stress to overwhelm their daily lives. Since I started college, I have made sure to make time to take care of myself and de-stress, because being in college should not always be so serious and we should always make time for ourselves to enjoy our youth. These are five things I do to self care when times are stressful.

1. Face Masks:

Image from Pexels 

I am the type of person that enjoys doing facials and trying new face cleanses, and even though my schedule has become a bit hectic since school started, I always try to leave one day out of my week to do facials. Whether it’s just me or with a couple friends, I always do this as a pastime.

2. Movies

Everyone loves to watch movies. What better way to forget about all the stressful assignments and work we have to get done than to watch a movie that just came out? Going out to the theaters allows you to be in a quiet space with minimal distractions, and you are able to forget about all of your problems for a while.

3. Evening walks

Image from Pexels 

Evening walks are my go-to, especially during fall and spring. It is the perfect weather and everything is so peaceful. Going on walks allows me to clear my head and enjoy the small things that we don’t normally appreciate on an everyday basis. Just being with nature brings different vibes to your life, and it can truly change your mood instantly.

4. Hanging out with friends

Being in company of friends allows you to express yourself, forget your problems, or have a group of people to help you fix and/or minimize the thing that is stressing you out. To relieve stress with your friends can be accomplished in various ways – just having lunch with them at your favorite restaurant, allowing yourself to be distracted, or going on a journey into the city and laughing throughout your car ride, enjoying each other’s company.

5. Journaling

Image from Pexels 

Journaling seems like a bore to some people, but in all honesty, it can be therapeutic. Once we allow ourselves to let go of our worries and just write them down, it can relieve a whole lot of stress. In the past I found myself not wanting to write because of the idea that writing is an academic subject, but once I allowed myself to use writing as self-expression, everything about the concept became thrilling. It can develop from self care to passion, and continues to help de-stress and make me learn and develop. Journaling can help you identify some of your inner thoughts and process them into self discovery; it truly can be beneficial .

Jasmin Estrada

Cal Lutheran '23

A little info
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!