you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Finding Fun with Work: Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Normally when people think of Spring Break, they think of Cabo, fun times, and nothing but relaxation. But the reality of a college student’s spring break is quite the opposite, at least for me it is. While I am a graduating senior, and this is sadly my last semester, I’m still working hard- potentially more than I ever have. With two jobs, an internship, and the last of my upper division classes for my double major, I’ve been working non-stop this whole school year. I don’t have any complaints, I love everything I do, but it’s definitely nice to have some type of break. I may not be going to Cabo or the beach every day, but I do know that even if I’ll be working throughout my break, I can still find some fun.

Work During Break

I’ll be on duty two days during break for my SRA position on campus. I’ll be working at the law office I’ve been at for the past year and a half while I’m on break as well, but only four days out of the week. I’ll be going to my internship only two days of the break.

What’s the Fun in that?

When I’m on duty, it means I have to stay in the hall from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. and do my rounds throughout the hall. Since I’ll be staying inside, it’s only a great opportunity to get ahead. This may not sound fun to a lot of people, it’s fun in the long-run. If you know you’re going to have to stay in one place for a certain amount of time, do something productive so you don’t have to worry for the rest of your break. If you get far enough, you may not have to worry when classes start back up again. Sometimes I’ll have my high school friends over while I’m on duty so we’re away from home but can still hang out together. I might even just reorganize my desk so it’s a little more aesthetically pleasing. It’s always fun to see your workspace look nice and inviting- it makes working on homework and research projects less intimidating.

Photo by Arnel Hasanovic on Unsplash

Another thing I’m planning on doing is to hang out with my HCCLU little and g-little while I’m still in the area. We haven’t spent as much time together since classes started because my little and I are so busy. Breaks are the perfect time to hang out with friends you don’t always see, even if you do go to the same school. 

The weekend of breaks really are the best time. Normally when the weekend comes along while classes are still going, I’m preoccupied with working on homework or projects, maybe one or two HCCLU events. But with Spring Break I’ll be able to have more freedom with what I’m doing. For example, the Friday that Spring Break started I went out to the Griffith Observatory. I’ve been wanting to go since I haven’t been in years. I think the Griffith Observatory is beautiful, it always reminds me of why I fell in love with California. The view from there shows all of Southern California’s beauty in one place. You can see the stars, as well as you can considering the smog, and looking out you’ll see the lights of not just the California traffic, but of the city itself. I’m reminded of all the diversity and life that springs from being in Southern California. Spring Break is a great time to revisit some of the touristy places near you. During school, we rarely have time to drive wherever we want and hang out for the night. We always have to worry about school or work the next day.

Photo by Wenhao Ryan on Unsplash

I’m also planning on visiting a law school I was accepted to on the last weekend of Spring Break. This may not seem fun for others, but I’ve been dreaming of law school since I started high school. Being accepted is a dream come true, so visiting the law school and meeting the professors, the students, and the alumni is exciting. Graduating is such a big step in everyone’s life and I’m about to embark on a new adventure in law school and I’m getting this wonderful opportunity during Spring Break to get a sneak peak of what that new adventure might look like. I’ll be in the Bay area and I have family up there as well, so being able to spend the weekend with them will also be fun. The campus visit will take up most of my Saturday, but I’ll still be able to spend time with family I haven’t seen in awhile. The drive up will mean that I’ll actually get a decent amount of rest- I’m a mom in every situation, but if you put me in a car and drive, I’m suddenly a baby and fall right asleep.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

Just because I can’t go to Cabo doesn’t mean I can’t catch a tan somewhere closer to home. My friends from high school will all be in the same place for the first time in three years! We always loved going to the beach together so on the days that I’m not going to work, I’ll make a day trip to the beach with them. That or we can go at night and hang out, which is what we did my first year at Cal Lutheran. Either way, now that some of my old friends are home, it’ll be a great opportunity to do some of the activities we used to do. There’s a park nearby that we used to love going to, we’d hang out on the swings and wait for ice cream to come by. At one point, we went to Downtown Disney and watched the fireworks from there. My point is, no matter where you are or how hard you’re working, you can still find the fun! Have a safe and fun Spring Break everyone!

Photo by Bewakoof.com Official on Unsplash

Kyla Buenaventura

Cal Lutheran '19

Kyla Buenaventura was the Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran from 2017-2019. She double majored in Economics and Political Science with an emphasis in Law and Public Policy. When she was still at Cal Lutheran, she loved writing and inspiring her Writing Team to express their love and passion for topics through their own unique writing styles. 
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!