Educated Eating: Spaghetti Squash Strikes Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

So I may or may not have an infatuation with spaghetti squash. It’s such a happy vegetable that makes me happy because I can pretend to be unhealthy while filling my body with nutrients.

Look, we even match!

Here’s a quick recipe for mac ‘n cheese using spaghetti squash.

• 1 small spaghetti squash
  • 1 cup low-fat milk
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese blend
  • salt/pepper to taste
  • 1 clove garlic
  • handful of Panko bread crumbs
  • handful of parmesan

First, cook the spaghetti squash (see last post on spaghetti marinara). Let cool off to the side.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Pour 1 cup low-fat milk into a pot and place it over medium heat. Add salt and pepper to taste and don’t be afraid to add plenty of pepper. At this point, I like to dice up a clove of garlic and throw it in as well to add a bit more flavor.

Now add 1 cup of cheese–I find cheddar to be the best option. Stir over medium heat while it melts then reduce to low and let it simmer for about 4 minutes. Stir occasionally with a fork to make sure you get all the cheese melted into the milk.

Take an oven safe dish (line with foil for easy cleanup) and put spaghetti squash in it. Pour cheesy mixture over it and stir. How much you use depends on how much squash you have–this amount works well for one small squash or half of one large squash. Basically you want all the “noodles” to be covered in cheesy goodness but not swimming in it. This isn’t cheesy noodle soup (though doesn’t that sound good, too??). 

Top with parmesan and Panko bread crumbs. Place in oven for about 8 minutes or until the topping has turned a nice golden brown.

Enjoy!

Eliza Roemisch

Cal Lutheran

Writer, designer, adult brace-face, and reluctant healthy eater. Eliza ia a CLU senior excited for graduation and what lays beyond the cap and gown. Check me out at elizaroemisch.com
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!