This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Occasionally, we all crave sweet and salty foods. Okay let’s be honest… it’s more than occasionally.

But as a reluctant healthy eater, I try to avoid the urges to snack mindlessly on unhealthy carbs and calories. There is one thing I’ve learned in my journey to becoming healthier, however, and that is the importance of indulgence. 

If you don’t choose when and how you indulge, you end up building up all this desire and you make very bad decision when faced with double doubles at In-n-Out or a night to Pieology with friends. So I like to have small treats on hand to occasionally enjoy a less healthy option. It satisfies cravings and the choices I have close by are, in fact, not all that unhealthy. 

One of my personal favorites is strawberries. They are sweet and juicy and they’re a fruit so I never feel guilty after eating them. Here are three ways to eat them. 

1. Classic Strawberries and Whipped Cream

How can you beat a classic? It’s easy and delicious and very few calories. It’s perfect for when you are craving sugars. 

The secret to a really great strawberries and whipped cream snack is to make your own whipped cream. It may sound like a lot of extra work for very little payout, but the benefits are 1) no added sugars and 2) much more flavorful. All you need is a bowl, a beater, and heavy whipping cream. Bonus: whipping cream is much cheaper than canned whipped cream. It cost me a whole dollar at Trader Joes. To make the cream, just beat it in a bowl on the high setting until it’s firm and fluffy. It takes about two minutes. 

2. Strawberries and Prosciutto

Prosciutto is a sliced cured ham that when paired with fruit, is usually paired with melon. If you haven’t tried prosciutto and watermelon during the summer, I highly recommend it.

It is salty and delicious and often a bit pricier. I purchase it about three times a year: once in summer for my birthday, once over winter break just because, and once in late March/early April when I get my tax refund. Don’t squelch on this: get prosciutto that is labeled as being from Italy. It really does taste better. I simply folded a slice in half and wrapped it around thickly sliced strawberries. Sweet and salty is a pair made in heaven. 

3. Strawberries and Balsamic Vinegar

Another indulgence in my spending habits is balsamic vinegar. The important thing to note about balsamic is there are (and I generalize) three types. 

Type 1 is real Modena or Reggio Emilia Balsamic Vinegar and is thick and delicious and dark. The bottle will clearly be labeled Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale and/or DOP. If it says “traditional style” it’s not real. It usually has a wax seal and will cost $40 and upwards. It is entirely worth it. What distinguishes this from other balsamics is that it is aged for decades (a minimum of 12 years) and has no additives and is made in Modena or Reggio Emilia. 

Type 2 is labeled IGP. It’s made from grapes of the same type as those in traditional balsamic but grown in other countries. It is then processed in Modena. Oftentimes it will not be aged as long (3-5 years) and will have vinegar added to it. However, it’s still delicious and is cheaper. I got this bottle for $12. Check the label: grapes should be the first (or only) ingredient. If the first ingredient is vinegar, don’t buy it. 

Type 3 is everything else. If it doesn’t say IGP or DOP then ignore it. It’s a fake dressing that is mostly vinegar. It may make good salad dressing but it’s not what you want for strawberries. 

Some notes: you want lower acidity, IGP or DOP. This is expensive stuff and is considered wasted if you cook with it. A couple drops on the strawberries is enough and it is a fantastic flavor combination. You can use IGP as a salad dressing, but not DOP. 

Now you can pretend you’re a food snob with all this information. 

To enjoy this, literally just drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the strawberries. I diced mine up and ate it with a spoon. It was heavenly. 

Now go forth and indulge! 

Eliza Roemisch

Cal Lutheran

Writer, designer, adult brace-face, and reluctant healthy eater. Eliza ia a CLU senior excited for graduation and what lays beyond the cap and gown. Check me out at elizaroemisch.com
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!