This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

With finals week coming up, it’s normal for everyone to be on edge and stressing about the next couple of weeks. Assignments are piling on, final drafts of papers are coming to a close, and last-minute studying is approaching us. However, I’ve always found music to be a great stress-reliever during times like these, and for any other high-stress situation. Music is a way for me to almost get away from reality and focus on myself and the way that I’m feeling at that particular moment in time. I’ve also noticed that the holiday season brings another level of stress-relief to me because it reminds me of family and happiness. Baking, decorating, and being around good company is something that I always look forward to as the fall semester of the school year comes to an end.

assorted Christmas ornaments, packages, and lights
Photo by JESHOOTS.COM from Unsplash

So with all of this in mind, I’ve found that during finals week, combining my love for both music and the holidays have become one of the easiest ways for me to alleviate my stress and that anxious feeling of finals approaching. Below I have a list of my top 10 favorite holiday songs that always put me in a cheery mood and help me escape the stress the end of the semester brings. 

Laura Mueller

10. Last Christmas (Glee Version)

Okay so hear me out. As much as I love all of the classic versions of this song, nothing makes me feel more warm and cozy than the scene where Rachel Berry is singing to Finn Hudson in an effort to get him back. That Christmas episode of Glee is one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. I also cannot get over how great Lea Michele’s voice is and how well her voice pairs with Corey Monteith’s.

9. Do They Know It’s Christmas? (Band-aid 30)

I personally prefer the newer version of this song over the original and I’ll admit it’s probably because I’m a bit biased and know more of the celebrities that took part in the making of this song. The vocals from Ed Sheeran, Chris Martin, One Direction, Sam Smith, and so many more other talented artists sound beautiful on their own and altogether in this song. While the song itself is a bit more on the sad side, the cause they donated the money towards always makes me smile whenever I hear it. 

8. Holly Jolly Christmas (Burl Ives)

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is one of my favorite Christmas movies to watch of all time. It always puts me in a good mood and reminds me of my family. Holly Jolly Christmas is my favorite song from the film and it has such a bright and cheerful tone to it that makes it so much fun to listen to. There is absolutely no way someone cannot smile when listening to this song!

7. Wonderful Christmastime (Paul McCartney)

I have a personal connection with this song, which is a big part of why it relieves any stress or anxiety I have when I hear it. It reminds me of my childhood, and while it may be repetitive, it has an all-around cheery tone and beat that make you want to continue listening to it on loop. I should also add that Harry Styles has a cover of this song available on YouTube which makes it even more special since I personally am a One Direction and Harry Styles fan.

6. Christmas Lights (Coldplay)

While this song does sometimes make me cry because of the meaning of the lyrics, it’s a song that I can listen to year-round without it having to be near the Holidays. Chris Martin has an amazing voice and it brings such a comforting feeling when you lay down and listen to the song.

5. Believe (Josh Groban)

This song is quite honestly just beautiful. The meaning behind it makes me smile and is another classic that I can listen to year-round. It brings a positive feeling whenever it plays and honestly, we can all use a little bit of “believing” when it comes to passing all of our classes and finals.

4. Christmas in New York (Lea Michele)

This song was just released about a year ago and the upbeat tempo and joy that can be heard in Lea Michele’s voice makes this one of the most fun Christmas songs to listen to. I love listening to it the night of Thanksgiving because it reminds me that it’s the holidays and how beautiful cities are going to look with all of their holiday lights put up in the next week or so.

3. O Holy Night (Josh Groban or Lea Michele)

I listed two versions of this classic song because both are phenomenal. I cannot get over the note at the end of Lea Michele’s version. Genuinely I always get goosebumps. But at the same time, there is no way I could not list Josh Groban’s as well because his vocals are just as powerful and moving as her’s. I find that the greatest Christmas music always brings chills to my body which is why I have it listed at #3 and with two versions.

2. The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole)

I’m going to make this statement super short and simple. This song genuinely reminds me of Christmas and everything great that the holiday has to offer. I love it.

1. Carol of the Bells (Home Alone Version)

This is my all-time favorite Christmas song and I’m not quite sure why in all honesty. However, I can tell you that if you’ve seen Home Alone, you know that that movie brings happiness and cheer to everyone that watches it and reminds them of a simpler time during their childhood. This song always makes me happy and puts a smile on my face no matter what.

Photo of the castle during daytime with Christmas decorations
Photo by Craig Adderley from Pexels
Honestly, at the end of the day, it’s your choice on what type of music you choose to listen to in order to help yourself relieve any unwanted stress or anxiousness. I do however highly recommend listening to some of these Christmas/Holiday songs as a fresh new way to relieve any stress you all may be feeling around these last few weeks of the semester. And maybe they’ll even bring you some holiday cheer and joy as well!​

Ariana Salinas

Cal Lutheran '25

Student at Cal Lutheran University majoring in Sports Communications. Aspiring sideline reporter with a passion for journalism, art, and fashion.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!