This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

In our everyday busy lives, it can be all too easy to forget to stop and be thankful. We spend each day running around completing different tasks from college life to work to daily tasks, that taking a moment to be thankful is probably not at the top of your list. It can be especially tricky if you are tired, stressed, and worn out from the busy day instead of lying on a sandy beach.

Recently, I have been trying hard to be actively more aware of the little moments. Being a junior with three or so semesters left in college, I have mentally started to become conscious that my life will soon be very different. I also have several senior friends that I know will be graduating soon, so spending time with them while I can has become more of a priority. College is a bitter-sweet time; while there is a lot of good change and good memories made, it can also be hard knowing that it won’t last for long and that your friends live all over the states or even the world.

Appreciating and recognizing the small moments is very important. I think if we all made a little effort to think every day what we are thankful for consciously, we would all feel a little happier. It could be feeling thankful for a warm, sunny day in November, or perhaps getting a coffee with friends, or maybe it’s getting groceries and spending time with your mum.

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash

Not to be morbid, but one day you will look back at this year, this month, or maybe this day and think, “wow, I wish I could spend another normal day during that time.” I have had moments that I thought this and wished I could go back, which is normal and natural to feel, so why not make the most of it now?

It’s like taking running water for granted. When the heater breaks or the pipe ruptures and you don’t have running water, you realize how much you use it and need it. All of a sudden, you miss the running water coming out of the tap and feel thankful for having the ability to turn it on whenever you need it. I know when my water heater broke, I started thinking about all the people that live without safe, clean water, not to mention hot water.

At the end of the day, it is all about perspective. We can choose to be angry or mad at a day of mishaps, or we can laugh at how wrong everything went being thankful for the great story you now have to share with others. Even if you don’t quite love the place you are in in your life right now for whatever reason, find something to be thankful for because one day, you might miss it.

Look well to this day

For it is life-

The very best of life.

In its brief course lie all

The realities and truths of existence:

The joy of growth,

The splendor of action,

The glory of power.

For yesterday is but a memory,

and tomorrow is only a vision,

but if today well-lived, makes

every yesterday a memory of happiness,

and every tomorrow a vision of hope.

Look well, therefore, to this day.

• Ancient Sanskirt Poem
Rosie Baker

Cal Lutheran '21

Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. I am in my senior year completing a communication major and creative writing minor. Born and raised in England, I am a British girl California living who loves all things Disney, Friends, and beach related.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!