This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Have you ever heard of the phrase, “You have to love yourself first in order for someone to love you?” 

I am not a fan of that phrase and think it is absolutely wrong. The phrase makes it seem that you are not capable and worthy of love if you happen to be at a point in your life where everything around you is not put together. I have yet to meet one person in my life who has their whole life put together at all times. Things happen that knock us to the floor and that can lead you down a rough path of recovery. It can be the loss of a loved one, financial issues, breakups, and mental/physical problems. All these are valid issues, as well as so many others, and none of them mean you aren’t capable of being loved just because you yourself probably hate the person you are due to where you are at.

Actually, when we are in these situations, we need love from someone the most. Love can come from a friend, a mentor, or a family member. It can help you feel better about yourself and the situation and can help you solve the situation or better it. 

But okay, yes, if you feel that you are totally in a spot where you cannot bear the commitment and time to another human being because of the status of your life, then do not go after anything serious. But if you are wondering if someone will love you or not because of all the problems in your life, know that someone will love you and you are deserving of all of it!

My name is Wendy and I am a Sociology and Spanish major at California Lutheran University. I have lived in Ventura County all my life, making me a huge fan of the beach. I love to read on my down time, spend time with friends and workout. My love for writing began during quarantine where I found it to be a great way to express myself! I hope you enjoy my articles!