9 Struggles of Being the East Coast Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

One of the biggest struggles of going to an out-of-state college is that the majority of your school grew up in a whole different place from you. They make fun of your “accent” and use terms that you’ve never heard of before in your life. Being the only one in your friend group from a very different place outside of California, let alone an entire different coast is always a daily struggle.

Biggie vs Tupac? Shake Shack vs In n Out? Birkenstocks vs Uggs? Long live the West-Coast Best Coast, East-Coast Beast Coast debate! Whether there for college or a move across the country, the west coast perplexes us east coasters… a lot. Believe it or not, they’re “hella” different.

1. When people think preppy, east-coast style is “cool”Nothing gives an east coaster more of a culture shock than going from monogrammed shirts, bright-colored shorts, and boat shoes to crochet tops, board shorts, and tribal print rompers. Not only is there a lack of yacht club attire, but people aren’t carbon copies of each other and their clothing reflects their personalities.

2. Never ceasing to be amazed by palm trees and sunsets on the beachThere’s something about a sunset over the ocean that makes me feel some type of way. Watching it from a pier on the beach or while cruising down the PCH with the windows down, it’s impossible to have a bad experience or poor view.

3. Not understanding the concept of trafficDriving on the west coast is similar to an intense game of Mario Kart. Ask someone what a “speed limit” is and they’ll probably look at you like you’re speaking a foreign language.

4. Judging people who consume an ungodly amount of avocadoIf there’s one thing I’ve learned, everything tastes better with avocado. Californians would cringe at the thought of a southern breakfast of fried chicken, biscuits, and gravy compared to a nutritous health shot of wheatgrass with turmeric.

5. Taking three-hour showersWell, maybe not three hours. But I refuse to believe we are living in a drought and that things aren’t green.

6. Trying to explain my undying love for In-n-OutIn n Out is actually heaven on earth. Those who have always had an accessible In-n-Out within miles of them don’t understand the true beauty of burgers handmade by angels and milkshakes that taste like nectar from the gods. 

7. Judging everyone who looks like a walking marshmallow in anything under seventy degreesI don’t know what world we live in, but apparently sixty degree weather means time to bring out the ski jackets and mittens. And even worse, when it rains, it’s like the world is about to end or something.

8. Forming an immediate bond with other East CoastersEven if you don’t know them well at all, all that matters is that in your heart of hearts, you think they just get you.

9. Learning the hard way to never call California, “Cali”. Ever.While we’re on the subject, there’s no “cane” in Spokane and no “gone” in Oregon. We do say the “tee” in Yosemite, but don’t even think about saying “San Fran.”

19. California girl with Southern roots. My favorite things include (but are not limited to) basking in the sun, buying things I can't afford, succulents, and the smiley face with a nose :-) For all inquiries you can contact me at krodgers@callutheran.edu
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!