kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Ways to Relax When You’re Overwhelmed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

It’s the home stretch of the semester, and the workload is starting to pile up. Suddenly, you have three papers, a presentation, and two group projects due before the end of the semester, and Christmas is right around the corner. Don’t worry, collegiate. We’ve compiled a list of ways to calm yourself down when life gets a little too stressful.

1. Take a bath

Photo courtesy of Photo by Roberto Nickson (@g) on Unsplash  

It seems cliche, but it works. Soaking in hot water and allowing yourself a break from all of life’s worries can relax your body and refresh your mind. You can add lush bath bombs, scented essential oils, and you can even read a book and indulge in a cup of coffee or wine.

2. Take a walk

Fresh air does wonders for the body and mind. If you’re feeling stressed, pop in your headphones, play some great music, and take a walk around the block. The air is guaranteed to make you feel better. You can also do a light workout- even 20 to 30 minutes will help you relax and you will feel much better afterwards.

3. Light a few candles and meditate

Photo courtesy of Photo by Jared Rice on Unsplash

Look up a video of meditation music on YouTube, light a couple of your favorite scented candles and sit down for a meditation sesh. It doesn’t have to be long- even 3-5 minutes will help you feel at ease, but allowing your brain to really clear out can be very helpful for your stress level. There are many meditation apps you can download if you prefer. 

4. Take a nap

If you have the time, take a short nap. Sometimes, when stress really overtakes us, we need to power down for a little while. A nap can be a good vacation away from the real world, and you’ll wake up feeling more in control of yourself and your emotions.

5.  Indulge

Photo courtesy of Photo by Hannah Pemberton on Unsplash

Comfort eating shouldn’t be your go-to 24/7, but sometimes it’s okay to binge on your favorite snacks. Grab one of your favorite foods or order out, and enjoy the meal to its fullest. Sometimes the enjoyment of the food can calm us down and let us take a break from what’s going on inside our heads.

Gif courtesy of https://68.media.tumblr.com

At the end of the day, it’s important to put things into perspective. Something that feels like it could be the end of the world probably won’t matter sooner than you think. When you’re feeling like you just can’t handle your workload, try out some of these tips!

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!