13 Things I’ve Learned About CLU’s Food Situation During My First Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

There is a lot that goes into a college experience, and the food you eat (love, cherish, and adore endlessly) is no exception. Here are 13 things I’ve learned about the food situation at Cal Lutheran during my first semester:

1. Nachos at Centrum are a must. Starting at 3pm, Centrum begins serving these legendary nachos that are like no other. The massive portion is perfect for a group of two to three people to (attempt) to share.

2. You can survive off of Starbucks and it never really gets old. You would think that after going to Starbucks more than anyone should go to Starbucks, I would begin to hate it. Surprisingly, it’s still my go-to for a quick pick-me-up or fast meal or drink while on campus. (Side note: although Starbucks can get pricey, if you know what to order, it’s cheaper than a lot of other options on campus.)

3. Jamba Juice is too expensive to constantly get. Although the Jamba Juice is conveniently located on the Spine, it’s too pricey to regularly indulge in unless you have a meal plan. (If you’re a health nut like me, this is especially tragic. Homemade smoothies for me.)

4. Tapingo is your significant other. If you don’t have a Tapingo, what are you doing? Do you even go to Cal Lutheran? The app lets you order your food to pick-up without waiting in line, which is basically everything I’ve ever needed in life and more.

5. You eat meals based around your class and life schedule, which can get a little confusing. Whether I’m having breakfast while driving to school or eating lunch at 3pm, my meal schedule will never be regular again.

6. Dominos is so close by that it is a great, cheap option to split with people while studying at CLU. Don’t underestimate the power of pizza during a group project or finals studying.

7. The vending machines don’t have many healthy options, but what would you expect? Another tragic moment for my health nuts. The vending machines are just what you would expect in college: cookies, crackers and candies galore. I guess I’ll deal.

8. If you are looking for healthier options, check out the Student Store. With a Naked Juice fridge and various healthy goodies, the snack section is where it’s at.

9. From what I’ve heard, if you’re a freshman and you live on campus, it’s necessary to have a meal plan. Since you only have a communal kitchen in the dorms and not much room to make meals, you can’t get away from the school food.

10. If you live off campus, don’t bother with the meal plan. Although you will still eat on campus often, packing your own meals as much as you can saves you money and helps you eat better.

11. You will get sick of the school food. There was a time where Centrum and Ullman mystified me. That time is over now; the natural cycle of getting tired of the same menu options has come upon me, as it will you. The food is still better than average for a college campus, but it’s still school food when it comes down to it.

12. Constantly hydrate. You will never stop refilling your reusable water bottle. Just go with it.

13. Nothing beats home-cooked meals. If you didn’t appreciate them before, you definitely will now. Although there is a definite freedom in being able to eat fries twice in one day.

My name is Samantha Meyer, but most people call me Sam. I'm a freshman at Cal Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks, California. I'm an Interdisciplinary Studies Major, and I hope to teach first grade, become a principal, and write novels. I have a high school background in journalistic writing and photography. You can find me at your nearest Trader Joes or coffee shop, catching up on world news, Cosmo's snap story or just snacking on some quality fruits.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!