stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Where to Get Free Yoga In Downtown Charleston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Yoga is a great way to step away from the world for a bit and get super strong, but it can get expensive on a college student budget. If you want to continue your practice in college without breaking the bank or you’re not sure if you want to buy a membership somewhere yet, then these classes are a great way to explore some of the local yoga studios. I composed a list of all the free (and almost free) yoga opportunities in downtown Charleston for you to explore.

Charleston Power Yoga

CPY is located on King Street and holds hot power yoga classes. These classes are held at 90 degrees and are fast-paced, but able to do at ALL fitness levels. If you are a local to Charleston or a student here, then you can get your first class free with an ID, but make sure to schedule beforehand! This studio also holds a free community class every Friday from 4-5pm that is first come first serve. Don’t have a yoga mat? No problem! Just rent a mat for $2.

Urban Yoga

Urban is located on King Street and primarily holds Vinyasa yoga in a room heated between 80 and 85 degrees. They have $5 classes Saturdays from 11:15am-12: 15 pm. All the proceeds from these classes are donated to We Are Family. Mats are available to rent for $2.

Mission yoga

Mission yoga holds vinyasa yoga classes with a mix of meditation at their Spring St. location downtown every day, but they hold free classes every Sunday from 11am-12pm.

COFC Gym

The College of Charleston provides free yoga for students twice a week at the George Street Fitness Center multipurpose room. They hold classes Monday and Wednesday from 5:30-6:30pm. Mats are free and provided.

Tip: For any free class downtown, they tend to fill up quickly, so make sure to get there very early to secure your spot!

Julia Mimo

C of C '22

I am a junior at the College of Charleston studying theater with a concentration in scenic design. I am an out-of-state student from Connecticut. I love spending time outside (especially to find dogs to pet!) and I love being active!