This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

As a college student, I feel like I don’t have a lot of time for self-care activities. I also feel like I don’t deserve them sometimes. I used to reward myself only after I’ve gotten an A or had gotten all of the homework done. Though it is nice to do that, I have come to learn that it doesn’t matter how productive you’ve been or how well you’re doing in school — you deserve to treat yourself. 

A typical vision of self-care might consist of face masks, bubble baths, and chocolates. But,self-care, to me, is anything that makes me happy or that relieves stress. I try to do something every day for myself, and here are some of my favorites. 

Deep cleaning my personal space is very therapeutic for me. I know it can be really hard for some; it can be for me too. But, when I put everything away, wipe down surfaces and make my bed, I feel so much better. My room is my safe space, and when it is clean I can enjoy being in it much more. I also like to rearrange things in my room and add new decorations. Buying new plants and candles are my favorite ways to spice things up. 

Taking a long, hot shower followed by my full skin and hair routines is an instant mood booster. When I feel clean, I feel happy. This sounds simple and cliche, but sometimes I don’t have time for a lengthy nighttime routine, so when I take advantage and I feel so relaxed afterward. Especially when I get into my most comfortable sweats afterward and lie in bed. 

Getting my nails done is something I miss doing the most pre-COVID It can get really expensive to make into a habit, but having freshly manicured nails is something that makes me feel confident and happy. Especially when I try a fun new color! 

Ordering my favorite take-out food and watching my favorite comfort show is probably my least-used form of self-care but it is definitely my favorite. I usually get Moe’s and spend the extra few dollars for queso, then I turn on New Girl or Criminal Minds. I am also a huge fan of Chinese takeout. These nights distract me from my stressful life and allow me to enjoy my own company. I look forward to these nights. 

Self-care manifests in different ways for everyone. For me, it could be as simple as buying a new pair of earrings, going out to dinner, or going for a walk on a sunny day. Spending money on new clothes is always a classic too. Self-care just means taking some time for yourself, doing what brings little bits of joy into your days. It is really important to me to make time to do these things because I can look forward to them and stay excited about life when sometimes it seems overwhelmingly bad. I hope you do the same. 

Grace Davis

C of C '23

Hi, I'm Grace! I'm from Florida but am so happy to have left to come to Charleston! I am a junior at CofC, and majoring in public health and women and gender studies. I love to go to the beach, paint, and go for coffee.