This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

So, lately, I have been doing the least in my daily life. I wake up, go to class, go to work, come home and go to sleep and then repeat it endlessly every weekday. It’s no surprise that I’ve been realizing how monotonous daily life is lately, which made me realize that I might need to switch things up a bit. Recently, the idea of self-care has become a more acceptable phrase to describe people doing things for themselves, instead of focusing mostly on the well-being of those around them. It’s taken off in popularity, people making jokes about how spending too much money on new clothes or bath bombs is self-care, but there really is a need for self-care in our daily routines. I get it, we all live busy lives and it’s hard to take some time each day for ourselves but here are a few examples of self-care that we can incorporate into our daily lives, making every day ‘self-care Sunday’.

Take Twenty Minutes to Unplug from the World

Social media can cause a sense of disconnect and cause negative emotions such as low self-esteem or depression

Put On a Face Mask

Let’s face it, when you’re stressed or not sleeping well, your skin shows it.    

Play With a Dog

Studies show that playing with animals or using animals as a type of alternative therapy can improve emotional, social, and cognitive function (plus, dogs are cute).

Bake Some Cookies While Listening to Your Favorite Album

I don’t know the science behind it but Drake and chocolate chip cookies go really well together.

Try Something New

Learning to sail or even trying a new bar for happy hour can spice life up just enough to break through the monotony you’re dealing with.

Don’t Be Afraid to Say No

Everyone needs alone time every once and a while so don’t be afraid to cancel some plans and stay in with a good book or your favorite Netflix drama.

You are an incredible being and deserve to be living your best life so, my final advice is this: try to make every day a little more like ‘self-care Sunday’.

Senior at the College of Charleston. English major and professional napper. I enjoy eating lots of food while laying on the couch binge watching the Office or Game of Thrones.