This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Recently, there has been a lot of buzz around the topic of anxiety.  Anxiety, if you don’t know, can be explained as two things. Anxiety can be an extreme feeling of worry, which a lot of people may experience.  It can also be part of an ongoing mental illness, such as generalized anxiety disorder. This definition of anxiety is much harder to manage and is something you might benefit from seeking professional help. If you experience either of these or know someone that does, read below to find some activities that I have found to be helpful.  

Self Care

This one is a very common activity for dealing with stress and anxiety, but many people just do it by slapping on a face mask mid-breakdown before cutting bangs.  This is most definitely not the way. The way to self-care is to make sure you’re completing your beauty routine a good 80% of the time, and treat yourself to mask days as often as you feel the whim.  Continuously check-up and take care of yourself so that it doesn’t get too bad.

Unplug!

Don’t be scared off at the mention of unplugging!  I have a really simple way to unplug that isn’t a 3 day hike in the woods. One way to find a little clarity is to go for a walk without using tech.  Obviously bring your phone with you, but leave it (and your airpods) in your pocket. I really enjoy going for a 15-30 minute walk like this in my neighborhood, and it helps me reconnect with nature and the world around me.

Love Jar

Okay, hear me out, this one is also not a quick fix but it’s a really good one.  I started a self love jar for myself last Valentine’s and it has been one of my better decisions.  My jar is a self love jar; it’s a cheap jar I got from Dollar Tree filled with scraps of paper with reasons why I love myself written on them.  When I’m having a rough time, going through these little notes from myself really put me in a better mood.

If you struggle with anxiety, another mental illness, or are just having a rough time please give a few of these a try and let us know on social media if they’ve made a difference for you! I’m not any kind of professional, but these are all some of my favorite ways to keep up with myself.

*Note: I am not a medical professional in any way and the suggestions here are purely my own that I have found to work for me.

National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255

I am a Junior at the College of Charleston working towards a Bachelor's degree of Science in Elementary Education. Along with writing for HerCampus CofC, I am a member of a religious group on campus, and am in the leadership of the Sexual Assault Awareness Committee. Other than that I really enjoy exploring what Charleston has to offer, and you'll have to read my articles for more!