stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Being Healthy: The New Trend?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

One of the things many women pride themselves on is being up to date with the latest trends. David Yurman bracelets, midi skirts, and tassel necklaces have all been spotted on some of the most fashion forward celebs, so many follow suit. However, one of the most recent trends many celebrities and fans alike seem to be jumping on is a new obsession with health.

On any given magazine cover it is easy to find headlines like “Five Foods that Cut Belly Fat” or “Three Juices to Incorporate in Your Cleanse” alongside the usual “New Fall Fashion Favorites.” In interviews, women who are idolized for their perfect physiques gush about the latest fad diet they are on. Vegan restaurants and juice bars are found on every corner of every worthwhile city (Verde or Freshii anyone?) and Instagram and Twitter are littered with accounts such a @Fitspo or @FitnessForHer which advertise things like “Kiwicha, The Peruvian Power Food To Help You Lose Weight.” While it is difficult to remember a time when dieting was not on everyone’s mind, it was certainly not always this radical.

We can hope that this new obsession with health is because we are more aware of our body’s needs, but could it be that this health craze is just a trend? Will our juicers and açai berries soon be pushed to the back of our closets along with our gauchos and peplum tops? And will we really be plagued to being gluten free for the rest of our lives? Or maybe, this is one trend we should all just sit out.

While it is always important to prioritize health and a healthy lifestyle, radical diets and cleanses may not be the way to go. In fact, they are a fast track way to screw up your metabolism and, when you finally come back to reality and realize that you cannot actually live without carbs (and, let’s face it, you will), it is likely that you will gain back the weight you lost and more. Sure the military diet plan may help you lose 10 pounds in a week, but unless you continue the diet for the rest of your life, it is almost guaranteed that you are going to gain the weight back. While it may not sound as glamorous as the “sleeping beauty diet,” the best way to become and stay healthy is exactly what your parents always told you- a healthy diet and exercise.

It is true that carbs should not be heavily consumed, fruits and vegetables should be the main component of your diet, and you should try to avoid sugar, but it is also true that the diet you have been hearing about that sounds too crazy to be true probably is, and you certainly do not have to survive on nothing but juice for a week to be deemed “bikini ready.” Every season there is a trend that most people have the sense to realize is not worthy of following; this may be one of them.

photo credit: 

http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/whats-missing-you…

http://health.allwomenstalk.com/ways-to-become-nutrition-savvy

Camila is a freshman at the College of Charleston, SC and a member of Delta Gamma. She plans to major in Marketing with a double minor Spanish and Communications. She is obsessed with any variation of mac and cheese and tweets often to the dismay of her followers. She loves puns and shopping and plans to severely deplete her savings account in the next four years on King St.
Originally from West Virginia, Tori Williams is a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina majoring in Communication, and minoring in International Studies and Dance. Tori is currently the editor-in-chief and a featured writer for the Her Campus CofC chapter, as well as an editorial intern with Charleston Magazine. She also dances with Dance FX Charleston's performance company and through the College of Charleston. When she's not busy, Tori loves to read, run, and do hot yoga. She hopes to someday be an editor and writer for a big time magazine.