This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

With more time on our hands than ever, I have found myself in the kitchen much more than normal. Now, not only to raid the pantry, though! My inner chef has been ignited, and I have changed up my normal baking habits. Instead of going for the easiest, most convenient option, I have branched out and decided to make all of my favorite things from scratch. I have found most of these recipes through the best platform, Pinterest. For all of these desserts mentioned, there are also recipes you can find that can be catered to your needs, whether you are vegan or gluten-free. I thought I would share with you some of my favorite treats that I have made so far. So have fun, not only creating and trying something new but also getting to enjoy it afterward!

Cookies!

Who doesn’t like cookies? They come in just about every shape, size, and flavor one can imagine. Personally, I cheated during this one. I dusted off the sugar cookie bag from Christmas in the pantry and made and decorated them. They turned out delicious! But my best recommendation would be to make chocolate chip cookies from scratch! You can find a great recipe on the back of a Nestle chocolate chip bag!

Banana Bread!

Not only will this treat taste heavenly, but it will also make your house smell like a bakery. Banana bread is one of my favorite things to make because it is so versatile. I used this recipe, and it turned out amazing. You can also add something in to make it extra sweet like chocolate chips or walnuts.

Brownies!

An absolute favorite of mine. My love for chocolate will never subside, and because of that, I am determined to make the best brownies ever. You can find great easy options for this in the stores with the boxed brownies if you don’t want to make them from scratch. I found a great recipe if you do find yourself wanting to make them from scratch, which I strongly encourage. Pro tip: If you like a thicker fudgier brownie, I suggest baking them in a smaller deeper pan like this one.

Cake!

If you’re more of a cake person, there are so many homemade cake options out there. You can get creative with cake and add several tiers! Of all the cakes though, my favorite is the original New York Cheesecake! Although a little more challenging to master the first few times, I am determined! Here is the recipe I used.

I hope these recipe ideas gave you a little inspiration for the next time you have some time on your hands and want to get creative in the kitchen. They are delicious treats to spoil yourself and the others in your household. Or if you don’t want them all for yourself, spread the love and share with someone that could use a pick me up!

Hi, my name is Samantha! I am a senior here at the College of Charleston and am majoring in psychology. My interests include music, beauty, fitness, good food, and the city of Charleston!