5 New Years Resolutions Every College Student Needs to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

The new year may have started a few weeks ago, but our semester is just starting. Only after a few days of classes, we may be overwhelmed with the amount of reading to be done and the books we still need to get. Yeah, syllabus week doesn’t exist for all. But, hey, it’s still a new semester and a new year!

With a new year comes a new you, so don’t bring back what you wanted to leave behind in 2016. It’s a great idea to keep a New Year’s resolutions list so you know exactly what your 2017 goals are. Maybe you have no idea what your goals are or where to start, but don’t worry! Here are five New Year’s resolutions every college student should try out:

1. Learn how to manage your money

I put this at the top of my list because budgeting is what I struggle with the most. Keep a budget and stick with it. Write down your budget in a journal or notebook so you know exactly where all your money is going. Break it down step by step, so that you account for shopping, food, rent, etc. Keep some “fun money” (as my professor calls it) aside to use for going out or treating yourself. When that money runs out, don’t take out more from the bank! That’s all you get, so remember that! There’s also awesome apps for your phone where you can link your bank account and it helps put together a budget for you. I like the app Mint because I can see where all my money is going, adjust my budget, and see money spent and income. 

2. Spend more time outside

Don’t you miss playing outside when you were little? I know I do. It was great to breathe in fresh air and enjoy sitting in the sunshine. It’s great to go outside but work and school always get in the way. We spend so much time indoors that we don’t get to fully appreciate nature and the beauty of it. I can’t tell you the last time I took a walk outside not because I was going somewhere but because I wanted to be outside. Spend a few minutes each day enjoying the beauty of the great outdoors or, better yet, if you have the option of doing homework outside, do it! 

3. Trade in Netflix for a book

I remember the days when I read for fun and not for school. Reading was the time I allowed myself to relax and unwind after a long and stressful day. But now, when we’re all done with work, we turn on Netflix to help us de-stress. Make your goal to read at least one non-school book before the semester ends and try reading something you normally wouldn’t. You may be surprised how much you love that partuclar genre. Don’t forget to shut off the TV or laptop while you’re reading too.

4. Keep a reasonable exercise plan and stick with it

How many times have you told yourself you’re going to the gym today or exercise and you just don’t? I find it really hard to say I’m going to do that and actually do it if I don’t have a set plan in place. A good rule of thumb is to write out a plan and set exericse days. Every month, I open a journal that I designate as my “health journal” where I write down ahead of time the days I’m going to the gym so I know when I should be going and track if I actually go or not instead of waiting until the last minute to decide. I found this to be extremely helpful as I can hold myself accountable if I don’t go. I feel good after knowing that I made a plan and stuck with it. But, make sure this plan is reasonable and manageable. If you feel like you’re going to hard, you probably are.  Listen to your body.  

5. Go outside of your comfort zone and try something new

I know this one is totally cliche but it’s honestly a great idea. Whether that be a new food, a new club, talking to someone you usually wouldn’t or a new activity, the outcome of it may surprise. You may find something that you love and that you’re good at, or you may find out that you’re not that into it. Either way, you tried something and now you know! 

These five New Year’s resolutions are a great way to step up and follow through with your goals. They’re easy to follow and the outcome of them are totally worth it. Give them a try and even try to make some of your own!  Make 2017 your best year yet!

Allie Stern

C of C '19

Allie is a young public health professional, Guns N Roses enthusiast, cannabis educator, and Home Goods #1 customer. She is an up-and-coming entrepreneur who is passionate about women's empowerment and leadership. When she's not planning out her future on her white board, she can be found playing video games or watching Marvel movies with her boyfriend Amal.