10 Thoughts During the First Week of Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It’s here.  The fall 2016 semester is upon us.  The new freshman are exploring campus and seniors our joyful over the fact that it’s their final year.  It’s a new year and we’re thrilled, but there are certainly some feelings about the year we cannot ignore.

1.  Everyone is back on campus.

Your friends that went away for the summer are back.  Your friends that worked all summer and didn’t have time to actually hang out are back.  And you are back.  It’s going to be better than ever.  You plan on coffee dates, lunch dates and nights out (when you’re not swamped with classes of course). You’re ready for a year full of excitement!

2. Classes. They’re back too.

They’re here.  Math, science, English and every subject in between.  They’re back to haunt our dreams and stress us out.  They’re back to give us late nights in the library and multiple study sessions.  On the bright side though, they’re back to help us learn more about our favorite subjects and even (who would have thought) ourselves.  

3. I hope this professor gives extra credit.

You know the professor we’re talking about.  The one with the okay-ish Rate My Professor reviews.  They have a very tough exterior, an even more tough looking syllabus and the ability to make or break you this semester.  But have no fear college student, you’ll make it.  There is a light at the end of tunnel.  

4. Why are books so expensive?

WHY?! Just, why!? We have no desire to spend $150.00 on one textbook that we’ll open maybe three times throughout the semester nor do we want to have to buy a book we can only sell back for a measly $5.00 at our school’s bookstore.  Thank all that is mighty for online bookstores though that actually give decent prices for books (we’re looking at you Chegg and Amazon Prime).

5. It’s not too early to cry, right?

Know that song “Stressed Out”? Yeah, that’s how we feel already.  Classes are setting their expectations and schedules.  Assignments are being assigned.  And, guess what’s due at exactly the same time? Everything.  

6. Week two and I’m already so busy.

Between going to class, working and getting back into all our extracurricular activities, we’re running around like chickens with our heads cut off.  There is not enough coffee (or tea) to power us through the first few weeks of classes.  We are extremely under caffeinated and overworked and the semester is barely underway.  So we say again, is it too early to start crying?

7. What happened to actual “syllabus week”?

Week one and the first class meeting goes from “here’s what we’ll do throughout the semester” to “lecture one and two.” NO.  STOP RIGHT THERE.  We are not ready for this yet.  We are not ready to start taking notes or sitting in class for extended periods of time.  NO THANK YOU PROFESSOR.  Give us a week to acclimate here.  

8. I want my mom.

As great as being at school with all our *freedom* is, not having someone around to help you or do your laundry or cook for you actually kind of sucks.  We do not want to be adults yet.  What is a bill?  How do we make coffee?  Mommy, we need help.

9. Help, I’m already sick.

Ummm, Mom, you did not prepare us for this.  How do we deal with going back to class whilst also feeling like bees are buzzing in our heads?  Also how are we supposed to focus when we can’t stop coughing or sneezing? We need help.  Or at least tell us what cold meds we need to make us feel less like garbage.  

10. Still, I’m so glad to be back!

Despite the new classes, new professors, new living situations and probably new illness, it’s good to be back in a city that has stolen our hearts and become our home.  Our college home.  It’s good be back with old friends, going to our old spots and doing things we love.  

We’re back, fall 2016 semester! And we’re ready for you! HCXO

Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.