This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Art is a hobby shared by many people around the world. Some people consider it one of their  favorite hobbies, and some people’s art experience stops after their fourth-grade elementary art class. It’s pretty cool that art is a hobby that ANYONE can partake in at ANY TIME.

Art can be a simple doodle as you’re dozing off in class, or a painting that takes you 3 months to complete. Wherever you stand with art, it’s pretty safe to say that it is an enjoyable activity. Something that is not commonly known about art is that there are many benefits that come along with participating in this hobby.

I have been passionate about art for as long as I can remember. Whenever I have free time I immediately go to drawing and painting, and now that I have read hundreds of studies about the benefits of this hobby, I am that much more eager to make time for art in my day to day life.

Drawing and painting are AMAZING distractions. I always turn to them when I want to take my mind off whatever is stressing me out. When you are trying to focus on creating something, it’s difficult to keep thinking about your problems or whatever may be bothering you at the moment. Even if you continue to think about whatever is stressing you out, you can just take that out on your drawing or painting. It’s a super awesome way to release your stress and anger and is actually how some of the most famous paintings today were created. This leads me to my next point….

Art is a great way to express your emotions. Trust me, I am all for burying your emotions and putting on a happy face. However, we all know this isn’t very healthy and can lead to even greater problems. Ever since seriously getting into art, I have found that is an amazing outlet for expressing my emotions, instead of bottling them up and waiting for the horrifying “explosion.” Art is a safe space to let go and get through whatever funk you may be in. According to Cathy Machioldi, an expert in the field of art therapy, when it comes to releasing emotion, visual art has the advantage of being nonverbal, enabling one to express emotions that may be difficult to put into words.

Finally, art is a great confidence booster. The feeling of finishing a work of art is something that is not comparable to anything else. You feel a sense of joy and achievement. Hearing people compliment your work really improves your overall confidence knowing that people noticed something you put hard work and time into.

People who consider art one of their hobbies have probably experienced all of these benefits first hand. If you’re not into art, you should definitely consider trying it out. Start small and work your way up. The benefits have been proven through numerous studies and are pretty much endless, and who knows, you might just find your hidden talent.

Annie McLean

C Mich '21

Hey! My name is Annie and I'm majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Multimedia Design at Central Michigan University. I love drawing and painting and I spend a lot of my time outdoors, more specifically on the water. I love to paddle board, boat, kayak, rollerblade, and bike. I LIVE for dogs and I would own 500 if I could. I have a black lab puppy named Luna and I miss her everyday I'm here at CMU. I love to listen to music, my taste is pretty diverse, but I am especially into 90s pop and alternative. My guilty pleasure is watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians, yes I know, but I am ADDICTED. My ultimate goal is to hopefully run social media platforms for a large company such as Victoria's Secret or Kylie Cosmetics.