Why Community College Was the Right Choice For Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Why Community College was the Right Choice for Me:

It’s cheaper.

My tuition for my community college was about $1,300 each semester, WAY cheaper than a university. Despite popular belief, there is not a big difference in the quality of education. If you’re not sure what you want to do or you just want to save money while you get your pre-reqs out of the way, community college is a great choice.

It’s much easier to have a job.

I worked at Sephora for almost two years and was able to save up a decent amount of money. Now I’m broke because it’s so hard to compete with the thousands of other college students looking for a job.

It gave me a chance to adjust to college. 

I was able to ease into the workload and get my bearings so when I did move away I already knew how college worked and didn’t have to adjust to too many things at once.

It gave me the chance to mature.

I spent high school eating cereal every morning and if I had to feed myself, I was off to Subway. Living at home for two years, I was able to teach myself how to cook a good breakfast, lunch, and dinner for one. Basically, I learned what it means to take care of myself.

I was able to learn a skill.

My first year out of high school I attended a professional makeup academy. I learned beauty makeup and basic business skills.

It gave me perspective on class differences and taught me a lesson on privilege.

Community college was a choice I made, but for a lot of people seeking an education it’s their only choice. It made me aware of the advantages my parents were able to provide for me and the privileges I was born with.

Next time you hear someone judge community college, remind them how great it can be and then remind them to check their privilege.

Tess Ware

C Mich '21

Hi, my name is Tess and I’m a double major in Journalism and Women and Gender studies at Central Michigan University. Planning to become a media writer after I graduate. I want to empower people through my writing and hope to someday write a book on the intersection of Feminism and Paganism. I’m a huge crafter, I love knitting and altering clothes I find at thrift stores. I listen to a lot of audiobooks in my free time. I’m really excited to be co-campus correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HerCampus-CMich and continue to develop my voice, writing and leadership skills.