VP of Panhellenic Recruitment Josephine Krzesak Reflects on Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Women all over Central Michigan University’s campus have been preparing for the past two weeks for months now. This year around 300 women decided to go through formal sorority recruitment in hopes of finding their home here on campus. However, what many people do not realize is the hard work and preparation that goes into preparing for this event. Vice President of Panhellenic Recruitment, Josephine Krzesak, was the woman behind the scenes, pulling the strings to ensure that all went smoothly, for not only the ladies going through the process, but the chapters involved as well. I had a chance to chat with Krzesak about her experience this past recruitment season.

Describe your position and roll during the recruitment process.

My role is to plan the entirety of the recruitment. The recruitment process includes two weekends and multiple pre-recruitment events. I also am in charge of communicating all recruitment information, rules, and policies to 11 different sororities recruitment chairs.

What type of preparation lead up to recruitment?

As part of my position, I work with the 11 chapter recruitment chairs. Throughout the summer, I collected any information from the chapter VPRs, including t-shirt sizes, layouts for the tents, decoration lists, etc. The recruitment team planned many pre-recruitment events to get the word out and answer any questions women may have.  

What was your most memorable moment from this past recruitment season?

The most memorable part of recruitment was jumping home on Bid Day. The recruitment team: Katie Haas (Panhellenic President), Shelby Makie (Vice President of Leadership Development), and myself have gotten so close since we all disaffiliated. Being able to jump off the stage with them and running to our separate chapters was one of the happiest moments of recruitment.

What was your biggest challenge this recruitment?

My biggest challenge during recruitment has been stepping out of my comfort zone.  I have had to made hard decisions and have hard conversations that were not always pleasant.  By pushing myself as a person and as a leader, I have grown so much within this role.

How do you think recruitment went as a whole?

As a whole, I think recruitment went very well.  I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of conflicts and problems that could have arised, but did not.  I think overall, recruitment ran smoothly with minimal issues. In general, I think that most [potential new members (PNMs)] were happy with their experience. As a recruitment team, a big goal of ours was for PNMs have a pleasant and comfortable experience, and I think that we accomplished that.  

What made this most rewarding for you?

The most rewarding part of this experience has been seeing all of the sororities and PNMs enjoying their time during recruitment and having a great experience. I have loved seeing all of the fun everyone has been having and all of the memories they are making together.

Shelby Mackie (left), Katie Haas(middle), and Josephine Krzesak (right) at 2018 formal sorority recruitment.  

Hello! My name is Ashlee Croy and I am from Kalamazoo, Michigan, a cozy college town. I am a senior at Central Michigan University double majoring in Integrative Public Relations and Broadcasting and Cinematic Arts. I am involved in many different campus organizations including PR Central, PRSSA and Alpha Chi Omega Sorority. I am all about women empowerment and self love. I love spreading positivity, reading a good book and traveling. Fun fact about me is that I spent three weeks studying abroad in Italy during the summer of 2018.
Hi there! My name is Kara and I am originally from Freeland, Michigan, a tiny town in the Mid-Michigan area. I am a junior here at Central Michigan University and I am pursuing a degree in Advertising and Multi-Media Design. I have a passion for art, fashion, and music so I hope to one day work in one of these industries. My dream is to live in Chicago or New York! On campus, I am involved with the Honors Program, Advertising Student Development Forum (ASDF), the Beta Phi chapter of the Delta Phi Epsilon sorority, and am now serving as the co-correspondent and editor-in-chief of the C-Mich chapter of Her Campus. I am excited to take on this role and be working with our team throughout this journey! I absolutely love Her Campus and everything that it stands for. It is not only important to empower women, but important to empower people of all sexualities, genders, races, religious beliefs, etc. A fun fact about me is that I love to roller blade and I spent over a month in Thailand this past summer!