nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Quit the Negative Self Talk… Right Now.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

I didn’t get the job? Must be something I said or did.

The guy of my dreams doesn’t love me back? I’m unlovable.

She has a killer bod but still posts about eating cheese fries all the time? Ugh, I’m ugly!

STOP IT RIGHT NOW! Would you say those things to a friend?

No, you wouldn’t. How can we empower other women, without empowering ourselves first?  We all can be way too hard on ourselves sometimes. Our minds go to the absolute worst places at times but it needs to stop. Nothing gets accomplished besides single handedly ruining our own self confidence.

Instead of tearing yourself down, try these steps to incorporate positive self talk into your everyday routine.   

Set Reminders

I must credit this to my friend, Cole. We all go through rough patches sometimes where our self confidence gets a bit shaky. This is a great way to consistently remind yourself throughout the day that you’re a good person and you are going places in life.

Tell yourself “I love you”

This is a technique I learned in counseling. Trust me, it feels SUPER weird at first saying “I love you, *insert name*” to yourself. But it shouldn’t! Start by saying it in your head or writing it down a couple times a day, and once you get enough courage, say it out loud! Telling yourself this enough times will get it ingrained in your head and help eliminate the negative self talk.

Create a Dream Board

Visualizing your hopes and dreams will help you achieve them. You can lay out what YOU want to accomplish, instead of comparing yourself to others and their success. Comparing yourself is the epitome for negative self talk.

Positive Phone Background

We’re always on our phones, why shouldn’t we have an inspirational quote as a background to build us up? This is such an easy fix in your life and you can find a positive background on Pinterest in literally .2 seconds.

For Every Negative, Say Three Positives

One step back but two steps forward is the key to start loving yourself. Every time you catch yourself saying something negative, make sure to tell yourself a few things you do love about yourself. This will cleanse your mind of the toxins that are polluting it into thinking you’re not good enough. Honey, you are so much more than your imperfections.

Photo Courtesy of Kara Dobulis 

Hi there! My name is Kara and I am originally from Freeland, Michigan, a tiny town in the Mid-Michigan area. I am a junior here at Central Michigan University and I am pursuing a degree in Advertising and Multi-Media Design. I have a passion for art, fashion, and music so I hope to one day work in one of these industries. My dream is to live in Chicago or New York! On campus, I am involved with the Honors Program, Advertising Student Development Forum (ASDF), the Beta Phi chapter of the Delta Phi Epsilon sorority, and am now serving as the co-correspondent and editor-in-chief of the C-Mich chapter of Her Campus. I am excited to take on this role and be working with our team throughout this journey! I absolutely love Her Campus and everything that it stands for. It is not only important to empower women, but important to empower people of all sexualities, genders, races, religious beliefs, etc. A fun fact about me is that I love to roller blade and I spent over a month in Thailand this past summer!