Let's Talk About: Body Image

When I was a teen I would always weigh myself before I got in the shower, then spend 20-30 minutes bathing and thinking about what I could do to make my body “better”. There were days when I would look in the mirror and feel great about myself, then the second I saw the scale number my self esteem crashed into the treacherous ocean of hormones.

Everyday before school I would sit in my chair in front of my mirror and check if my belly rolls were visible when I sat down, if they were, I would change. Eighth grade was spent wearing hoodies and bootcut jeans (because bootcut jeans were meant to “balance out” wide hips, right?).

High school is when I discovered high waisted jeans, so my everyday outfit consisted of; high-waisted jeans, a crop top, a long cardigan and a scarf or necklace. It was my way of showing off my figure and hiding the parts of my body I didn't like (while “technically” not breaking the school dress code). The jeans flattened my belly, accentuating the part of my body I actually liked--my waist-- and the cardigans covered my stomach rolls when I sat down.

Junior year of high school was the first time in my life I started to feel comfortable with my body and began to wear clothes I actually liked. But the only way I was able to do that was by not stepping on the scale. At sixteen, I realized that the source of my insecurity was coming from a number that had zero effect on my everyday life.

I could write a book about all of the moments in my life that made me feel insecure, but the one constant insecurity came from that bathroom scale.

Now I’m 20 and in college.  I still sometimes struggle with body image but I don’t even own a bathroom scale anymore.  On those days when I look in the mirror and love what I see, my confidence can’t be ruined by a number.

Youth is wasted on insecurity. Someday I will look back on pictures of myself and wish I appreciated my body for how beautiful it is. Free yourself from thinking about those numbers-- they don't mean anything.  Think about the moment you’re in.

Instead of making another new year’s resolution about diet and exercise and finally losing those “extra” pounds, make a resolution to stop letting your weight affect how you enjoy your life.

#Throwoutyourscale