2019 is going to be the year of self confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

The other day, I realized something when I was going through all my old photos and my “Snapchat year in review.”  I noticed I had 10 times as many photos of my cats than I did of myself. Don’t get me wrong, my cats are cute as heck, but why didn’t I take more selfies this year? I knew the answer…

I hate the way I look almost every day. My hair is too frizzy, I’m overweight and I hate the way my face looks. I still avoid mirrors as much as I can.

This got me thinking about my confidence. I’ve had low self esteem since I was a teenager, and It’s gotten worse as I’ve gained weight in college. I compare myself to other women in college, who are beautiful and unlike me. At least that’s what I tell myself.

But I want that to change. 2019 will be the year of confidence and positive self-talk.

I want to wake up and be okay with my face without any make up on. 

I want to not worry about how my hair looks every other minute of the day.

I want to not worry about if that shirt makes me look fat.

It will take control to help myself feel better, and I will make it happen. 

For my new years resolution, I want to feel confident about myself. I want to be one of those people who takes cute selfies every day before I go to class.

There’s no room for negativity this year. This is the year of confidence.

Sara is an Integrative Public Relations Major at Central Michigan University. She hopes to work in a PR agency one day, managing social media for clients. When she's not reading yet another book from one of her three bookshelves, she can be found cuddling her cats, Luna and Selene.