A Message From A Procrastinator In Recovery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

In my opinion, for many people, procrastination is one of the obstacles that impedes productivity in school and work. For me it is the obstacle that is literally a part of my everyday life. Ironically I have put off writing this for days.

Procrastination should be classified as a disease by the CDC. Every single semester I tell myself that this will be the one where I put my procrastination aside and get my work done on time – yet every semester I find myself falling down the endless scroll of TikTok and Twitter while my work is nothing but a pile of dusty papers pushed aside on my desk. 

The problem is no matter how many life hacks I try or how many planners I start, it is something that I cannot seem to shake. As I progress through school, the work is progressively getting more demanding and yet my habits do not seem to be changing.

Every week for two of my classes I am expected to read one whole book and the entire week I tell myself, “Okay Isabella, we are going to start this book and read a little bit each day,” then all of a sudden after a week of playing Animal Crossing and watching “Friends,” it is the day before class and I barely have gotten through the first chapter.

In my mind, I would rather have the stress of doing work only last one day rather than the whole week. When all is said and done, I am still stressing about the work despite not doing it. Is this really a concrete strategy? 

What I am basically saying is that for all of the procrastinators out there, I see you and understand what you are going through. There is nothing wrong with you and it sucks that we are wired this way. But on the bright side at least we have made it this far and hopefully we can make it through our life this way. Or maybe someday some scientist who does not put their work off can come up with a magic pill that allows us to work through this ailment. 

With Love, 

A Chronic Procrastinator

Isabella is a Junior at University at Buffalo studying History Education and this is her second year in Her Campus. Her many passions include rainy days, reading, and hot coffee.