5 Best Meditation Apps to Alleviate Stress & Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

In my life, I have struggled with severe anxiety that would interfere with daily activities and sleep. However, by utilizing meditation, I have allowed my mind to be more at ease. Using meditation has changed my life, and it can change yours too. Begin your meditation journey today in the palm of your hand!

Meditation has numerous benefits such as convenience, decreased costs, better control of your mind, and lower stress levels. Thus, improving overall health and wellbeing (at little, to no cost!). Here are some applications that I highly recommend you download to get started on your journey to peace.

Insight Timer

“#1 Free App for Sleep, Anxiety, and Stress.”

Insight Timer is highly ranked in the app store with a whopping 305k reviews and a 4.9 average rating. With 95,000 free guided meditations you can follow along, Insight Timer is different from their competitors as they provide a wide array of guided meditations at no cost. You can browse through over 200 topics such as Depression, Confidence, Healing, Anxiety, and more. If you want to start your meditation journey, I highly suggest downloading this app as it is free and effective in helping any person with any particular issue. If you are pleased with their services, you can even upgrade to their Member’s Plus subscription ($60 per year) and unlock offline listening, insight courses, high-quality audio, and Advanced Player features. (#InsightTimer)

Headspace

“Live a healthier, happier, more well-rested life in just a few minutes a day with the Headspace app.”

Headspace is the go-to recommendation for meditation apps, having a high average rating of 4.9 stars with 798K reviews. It is easy to say that this app is loved and used by many. Headspace is a spectacular app to help you get started on your meditation journey. Headspace differs from others because they conduct clinically validated research on their product, and are committed to advancing the field of mindfulness meditation. The interface has a fun and friendly aesthetic with joyful animations and vibrant colors. By simply opening the app, your mood is boosted as you are doused by the bright colors and fun animations. Headspace provides free services and Headspace Plus ($69.99 per year), which will unlock all features included in the app. (#Headspace)

Calm

“Find your calm.”

Calm is a very well-known meditation app and can benefit people looking to work through and gain knowledge to deal with anxiety and stress. Their mission is to make the world a healthier and happier place, which is a statement I can say I support. This app can be used by experts and beginners alike and anyone on the journey to find inner peace. One great feature of this app is that it allows users to view statistics on time spent meditation with the Calm app and can help you keep track of your progress. Furthermore, the app contains different sessions for sleep, body, music, masterclass, and scenes meant for any occasion. One new feature that Calm is introducing to their platform is Calm Kids, which is meant to help any little kiddos venture off into dreamland and allow adults to have a good night’s sleep as well. (#Calm)

Ten Percent Happier Meditation

“Meditation for a happier, healthier you.”

With over 4.8 stars and 98,000 reviews on the Apple Store, this app is another runner up in being the top meditation apps. When you first open the app it asks a few questions and curates a specialized plan for you. Inside the app there are meditation and video combos that make it fun and easy to learn how to meditate. There is a wide selection of over 500 guided meditations that go over many different topics such as focus, parenting, and anxiety. Like every other app on this list, it is meant for any individual or even families interested in exploring the world of meditation and mindfulness. The membership costs $99 per year, but if you are interested in trying they offer a free trial! (#TenPercentHappier)

MyLife Meditation: Mindfulness

“Your emotions change. That’s why MyLife offers a personalized mindfulness solution tailored to how you’re feeling right now.”

The last app on this list, MyLife Meditation, is a highly effective personal guide that offers daily check-ins and recommends activities personalized to how you are feeling. In addition, as a college student, I know I struggle daily with my finances and budgeting. This app offers a series to help tackle financial stress and create a healthy relationship with our money and work. The app allows you to track your mental health and journal your feeling before and after each guided meditation. When I feel stressed out due to school, I have trouble breathing and feel as though I am out of breath. Using breathing exercises helps you cultivate your breath, focus better, sleep better, and ease your anxiety. (#MyLifeMeditation)

“It’s not selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself, and make your happiness a priority. It’s necessary.”

– Mandy Hale

Allison Lagos-Soriano is currently a senior at the University at Buffalo, studying Marketing and Data Analytics. She loves wellness, music, true crime, makeup, and pop culture. Allison has many dreams and aspirations to be a successful business woman, travel the world, and make the world a better place. #GoBulls