This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

What is Disney’s New Short Film, ‘Reflect’?  

Reflect is a new Disney short film that was released on the streaming service, Disney+,  early this week. The film immerses those watching into the reality of a little girl named Bianca’s  experience of being a plus sized ballerina. The short begins with a focus on the negative thoughts  that Bianca experiences. It shows her sucking in her stomach because of comments made by her  dance teacher, such as, “tight tummy, long neck,” and Bianca refusing to look at her own  beautiful reflection in the mirror. It isn’t until Bianca “battles her own reflection, overcoming  doubt and fear by channeling her inner strength, grace and power,” as Hillary Bradfield, director  of Reflect says, that she is able to dance freely. Watching Reflect made me feel absolutely  empowered. 

Reactions in the Media  

This 2 minute short film has been receiving a lot of mixed reactions in the media. While  some people see the film as a journey of self acceptance and a positive portrayal of those  struggling with body dysmorphia, others think that Reflect does quite the opposite. Disney fans  have criticized Reflect, tweeting things such as, “Hey Disney, now do [a film on] fat characters  that aren’t tragic and whose stories don’t revolve around their weight.” Others have applauded  Disney for finally creating a main character who has a completely average body for a young girl.  I believe that everyone should watch this film, whether you’re 7 or 77. Regardless of race, gender, body composition, or any other aspect of self that makes us all so amazingly unique. I challenge you to take two minutes away from studying for midterms or before you hit the hay to watch Reflect, and decipher your own opinion.  

Why is this Film So SO SOOOO Important? Personally, I think that watching this short film when I was younger would have opened  my eyes to the fact that it is okay to eat the strawberry ice-cream that I would eat two bites of  and then throw out. It showed me that I didn’t need to quit gymnastics in third grade because my tummy stuck out of my leotard more than the other girls. When I have a family of my own at some point, I want to show my children this short film to teach them that all bodies are deserving of love, because they truly are. So I thank Hillary Bradfield and the Disney team for creating this Reflect. It has served as a reminder for me, as a person who has struggled with body dysmorphia and anorexia since she was twelve, that I should look at my own body through kind eyes, and that you should too! Let Reflect empower you to dance without fear of who is watching you.

Kaelyn Jasina

Bucknell '22

Kaelyn Jasina is a First Year student at Bucknell University studying Psychology and Creative Writing. She loves to take spin classes on campus, go out with her friends, do yoga, and write stories highlighting what it means to be human. She hopes her work makes you feel empowered :)