Taylor Swift: Singer or Businesswoman?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Whether you love her, hate her, love to hate her, or hate loving her, Taylor Swift is often referred to as a pop icon. At age 27, the singer/songwriter has a net worth of more than $280 million, more than rapper Drake, or even actor Brad Pitt. At age 14, Swift became the youngest singer Sony had ever signed. For more than a decade, Taylor Swift has made a fortune by writing catchy songs based on her personal narratives, and creating edgy music videos.

Tabloids and listeners alike have called Swift untalented and fake. Whether it be her infamous squad, constant celebrity feuds, or rumored affairs, Swift is the center of an excess of celebrity magazines. With her new music video, Look What You Made Me Do, public backlash hit Taylor Swift perhaps harder than following the release of any song. The song was referred to as too dark, and outside of Swift’s brand. Especially the line in which Swift comments that the old Taylor is dead has received a largely critical response. But Taylor Swift is a prime example that in order to be a successful artist, you no longer need to be an exceedingly talented singer, but you need to be a savvy businessperson, and this is the reason for Taylor Swift’s success.

Few people would argue that Taylor Swift’s songs move them, or inspire them. But they are the songs constantly playing on the radio, and being discussed by peers. Her celebrity feuds contrasted with her iconic squad paint her as a socialite as well as singer, intriguing fans in her social life outside of singing. Her music videos promise shock-appeal, whether it be portraying the insane ex-lover in Blank Space, the movie premier-esque style of Bad Blood, or the self-deprecation in both Shake It Off and Look What You Made Me Do. In all of her public appearances and media, Swift shows she understands how to sell to her audience.

Recently, Taylor Swift changed her ticket sales. Using her new site, Taylor Swift Tix, fans can purchase her tickets by applying for a code on Ticketmaster. The site is designed to dissuade re-sellers or machines from buying tickets and reselling them to make a profit, but rather ensure true fans can get access to her shows. However, in order for fans to increase their spot in line, they should follow “fan engagement actions,” in which they can buy albums, merchandise, or refer a friend to the site. The site may indeed discourage others from taking tickets from true Taylor Swift fans, however, it also encourages larger sales of Swift merchandise. Thus, through effective marketing, Taylor Swift increases her net worth just through using a new ticket website.

Taylor Swift may not have the vocal power of Adele or the range of Idina Menzel but her songwriting incorporates simple themes with archetypal lyrics. Her dancing and acting are not critically acclaimed. However, Taylor Swift has top hits on each of her albums, her music videos have billions of views, and she is constantly seen as one of the most memorable celebrities. Though talented in different areas, perhaps her biggest talent is not singing, but creating and marketing an image that has made her rich. She is the businesswoman of pop culture.

My name is Kathleen McGivern and I am student at Bucknell University. I love studying history and going on adventures in the outdoors.