Wellness

Relighting the Flame: How to Get Motivated After Being Burnt Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Well, it’s pretty obvious that you clicked on this article for a reason. It seems like once spring break ends, the motivation in all of us starts to diminish. With a few weeks left in the semester, it’s important to push through and finish strong. To do that, we need to find motivation in any way we can.

Here are a few things I’ve been doing to increase my motivation that you may want to try out for yourself:

Organization

A clean, organized environment can make such a big difference in your mood. I can’t lie to you. My desk has been cluttered since January! I recommend designating an area to keep organized that way you always have a place to work or study in. Planners also come in handy when trying to stay more organized. I’ve used both paper and digital planners, like Google Calendar, to stay on top of assignments, exams, and meetings. Overall, implementing just a small amount of organization into your daily routine can keep you motivated in and outside of your classes.

Prepping for the summer

It’s common for me to think about the good things to come when I feel like the semester is dragging on. One of those good things for me is summer vacation!  Something I’m looking forward to is working this summer. Crazy, I know, but it’s something that keeps me busy and helps me save money for personal expenses. Maybe you planned a vacation that you are excited to go on, or you bought tickets to that concert you’ve been dying to go to. Either way, thinking of those summer plans can be a helpful source of motivation.

Get active!

The gym has been my safe haven recently. Sometimes it’s tough to get started, but once you complete a workout, you feel so good about yourself. Personally, I hit the treadmill for 20-30 minutes then complete an ab workout to strengthen my core. With the weather warming up, there are great opportunities to enjoy the outdoors by going for a run, playing a sport, or taking a nature walk. It’s the best of both worlds because you can get active while also enjoying what nature has to offer. If you aren’t comfortable going out, at-home workouts are just as effective! Any physical activity will boost your mood and motivation for the day.

Hopefully, by implementing a few of these tips into your daily work and personal life, you’ll see a boost in your motivation!

Madi is a senior Markets, Innovation, & Design major from Danville, Pennsylvania who intends to pursue a career in public relations/social media marketing. In her free time, you'll find Madi journaling, watching Gilmore Girls, or creating art in some way.