This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Before coming to Bucknell, I had little to no knowledge about what an internship was and I sure didn’t think I wanted to have one. It’s a topic of conversation that is hard to go unnoticed because it is always mentioned on campus especially when the spring semester is close to wrapping up. Many are looking or may already have an internship lined up for the summer.

Throughout my experience and growth as a student, I’ve reached a point where I think an internship could be really beneficial. It’s a chance to gain real-work experience within a professional setting and it’s something that can easily be added to a resume for future employers to take note of.

Navigating the world of internships doesn’t have to be complicated! With that being said, here are some of the resources that helped me in my internship process:

1. LinkedIn

An excellent resource for making connections with companies and employers. I use LinkedIn to research open positions as well as follow companies I am interested in. Even if a company I’m interested in doesn’t have an open position at this moment, I will still follow them. This is because if they do offer a full-time position in the future, I could be notified and apply. This is also the go-to for getting connected with other students and alumni. Connecting with alumni opens the door to potential job offers and the ability to ask about their experience at a certain company.

1. Handshake

With the help of Handshake, I was able to apply for an on-campus job that was filling positions over a year ago. You can view job openings and have one-on-one conversations with employers. There are always jobs available through Handshake, so take a look before they get filled!

1. Center for Career Advancement (CCA)

Bucknell has great resources for students through their Center for Career Advancement. Once you reach the website, click “Internships” on the right-hand side and various programs and opportunities will be displayed. In addition to this, you can also schedule an appointment for career counseling and join a career community. I highly recommend utilizing these FREE resources that the university offers to students.

Madi is a senior Markets, Innovation, & Design major from Danville, Pennsylvania who intends to pursue a career in public relations/social media marketing. In her free time, you'll find Madi journaling, watching Gilmore Girls, or creating art in some way.