This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Coming into my first year of college, I felt completely unprepared. Everyone seemed smarter, more confident, and way more ready for college. I felt like I had to get the best grades, do the most impressive things, and have the most friends. As you might have guessed, this is not at all how it turned out.

My first semester wasn’t exactly smooth sailing. I wasn’t doing as well academically as I had expected, and it was hard for me to make friends. After talking to everybody for some advice, I finally got it together. It occurred to me that my college experience was MY college experience, and I didn’t have to prove anything to anyone. After that, things started to look up for me, and that’s when I started to learn the best lessons…

Don’t take yourself too seriously!

You know that class that is giving you grey hair? Yeah, it’s not that serious. I learned throughout this year that as long as give your all, you have to accept the outcome. Whether you get an A on that test you studied day and night for or completely fail it, it will honestly be okay. Giving yourself some wiggle room and accepting that you aren’t perfect will make you so much happier in the long run.

Find a true friend!

When I pictured college, I pictured me with forty of my closest friends. In reality, that’s not what happened. However, I did find friends that “got me,” and I realized that nothing is better than that.

Don’t Box Yourself In!

You may declare your major as soon as step foot on campus, but don’t feel like you need to stay on that linear path. It’s completely okay to switch your major (even a few times) or go undecided. College is about exploration, so don’t feel like you need to stick to a major that you don’t truly enjoy.

Your first year of college may not be as glamorous as expected. Embrace every experience, and keep pushing yourself because it will pay off eventually.